Do you put new soles/heels on your new shoes/boots before you wear them?

MikeN

i took by cdiems to skyvalet in dc to get soles put on them. i mainly did this to protect the sole but also because these are damn slippery without them. i told him i want a topy sole and before i could even finish he knew exactly what i wanted. he put topy on the front sole and a special italian rubber heel. he said you don't want topy on the heel because it's not durable enough for the heel.

DSC00551-vi.jpg

DSC00553-vi110.jpg

man those cdiems just don't look right with that shit on em.

have u ever tried walking in them? you'll fall on your ass. last time i checked you can't see soles when your walking.

if you're planning on walking inside, and don't want to fall on your ass, i'd suggest getting topys. not only is the leather slippery on it's own, but rocks and pebbles can easily get lodged in the sole and when that happens, you'll be sliding like mad.

and honestly, if you have ceder shoe trees to absorb moisture, and don't walk in the rain too often, you don't have to worry about fungus...unless you want your shoes to last you 20+ years...in which case, you're dreaming.

when getting topys put on though, beware...a lot of places do shitty work, so make sure you go to a reputable shoe repair shop, and your shoe won't even look like it has a topy.

I get a thin rubber sole (topy) added on my rougher looking boots but not on my sleek leather shoes or boots, taps will do for those. It greatly improve the durability of the sole and the thin ones don't change the profile for the worse. A non-covered leather sole does wear a lot faster indeed and replacing them is a bitch, although some cobblers do it pretty well. This is pretty standard practice btw and your sole breathes from the inside of the shoe (leather breathes right, well the rest of your shoe is made of leather). Just use shoe trees and don't wear a pair two days in a row. Getting a good leather cleaner might also help.

what fucking shoes are you wearing where you -need- rubber soles or else you start gliding across floors inside buildings?

i think youre on drugs.

taps on a boot that otherwise makes that clunky choont choont sound is cool.

if your shoe doesnt clop clop, you shouldnt be wearing it.

find a good cobbler and replacing soles in their entirety shouldnt be a problem.

im probably spoiled. i have an amazing italian cobbler a few blocks away from me.

what fucking shoes are you wearing where you -need- rubber soles or else you start gliding across floors inside buildings?

i think youre on drugs.

i work in retail and our store sells a lot of leather sole shoes, and it's actually VERY common. go to a shoe repair shop and ask them how often they hear about this problem.