my thoughts on popular nyc stores

giantreptile

From a recent visit, this is just my opinion...

Steven Alan: don't know, closed for inventory (figures!)

Reiss: great for the ladies, it's Britain's answer to Banana Republic

OTP: much less men's shoes than i remember, it's kind of gone downhill

Nom de Guerre: don't know, closed for "we're cleaning up down there", but was not impressed by their own new line.

Atrium: service was nonexistent, tons of jeans (but not very many sizes), great if you are a size 32 in everything. blueblood's are made in china? say what?

Jean Shop: somewhat pushy service, and it kind of turned me off. although product seemed good, albeit bandwagon.

Jeffrey: was expecting more for men's wear. apparently this is where you find your dior homme jeans, but didn't have my size. service was first rate.

45rpm: $99 for a bandana?! $750 for jeans?! come on! waaaay overpriced. i understand the dollar is the Yen's bitch, but come on! it was the best smelling shop, however.

APC: the website is so good, that the shop is underwhelming. i can see why people call this the French Gap.

Barney's: crown jewel of NYC shopping. service and selection is unrivaled. anything from a basic pair of rag&bones, to $450 selvage Jil Sander jeans. great shoe selection too.

Odin: don't know, it was too far north in the village to walk.

Ideya: best (cuban) food in Soho. Go for lunch and it's never crowded nor expensive

well said except that part about odin...

its not too far..

you should of cabbed it, well worth it...

hidden treasure for men's wear in the city..my opinion

you should of also made the trek to famous friends..another MORE hidden treasure

ARGGHH, ITS DRIVING ME NUTZ!

updated.

yeah, i knew about famous friends, and realize what you said about odin, but i had to make some sacrifices because there were a number of art galleries we wanted to see, and my girlfriend had shops that she wanted to go to. and there's only so much time in the day. next time i will hit odin, famous friends, atelier, etc; and maybe williamsburg.

New York was still pretty damn awesome last time I was there a few months back. Did you check out alife Rivington and the new store right next door? That's probably one of the best looking botique type places in all of NY, but I still think the 45rpm store looks cooler. Anyway, does 45rpm price things differently than the same stores in Japan? I saw this nice polo I was going to buy...too bad it costed $250. I walked right outta the store after seeing a simple necklace thing for $280.