Learning Japanese

poshpol

Hey, if a similar thread has been posted before feel free to redirect me and close this one...

Otherwise... I recently discovered some classes that are available locally and i'm thinking of calling this school tomorrow and possibly signing up. I already have 3 languages down, plus some spanish, and I think Japanese would be a great choice for me seeing as I love the culture, want to visit and wouldn't mind relocating there for work.

For those of you who are japanese of have learnt japanese, can you please check out the course outline and tell me if you think this would be a good starter course:

Canada College (click me)

Course Outline:

1. Overview of Japanese Language
  2. Japanese grammar
  3. Japanese communication styles
  4. Writing and Pronunciation
  5. Romaji (Romanization)
  6. Hiragana
  7. Katakana
  8. Useful Daily Expressions
  9. Expressions in Daily Life
  10. Introductions
  11. Asking what things are
  12. Numbers
  13. Months, dates, days, and times
  14. Asking how much things cost
  15. Counting objects and people
  16. Directions (going/coming/returning)
  17. Existence of people and things
  18. Places, locations
  19. Daily activities
  20. Telephoning
  21. Adjectives
  22. Japanese Culture and Communication

Cool. Apparantly the Rosetta Stone line of PC tutorials is pretty effective as well...

I can't really help you since I've never taken Japanese but on a side note, my friend who's taking Japanese in college supplements his lessons with those Pimsleur audio cds and he said they help (speaking/listening-wise at least).

^^ They do help. I used them as I was taking first year Japanese. That course outline looks pretty standard, as long as you are committed and you put a lot of effort to it a lot of the language will stick. It is also good to refresh once in a while otherwise you will be like me and forget pretty much everything.

Seeing that you are familiar with other languages, pronunciation and spelling (romaji) is what the first few weeks consist of and will be easy.

strawberry100percent1.jpg

Yeah I'm waiting for his input as well.

Cool. Apparantly the Rosetta Stone line of PC tutorials is pretty effective as well...

Can someone teach me how to use the Rosetta Stone? I downloaded one that is loaded with different languages but as for learning from it, it's not very effective so far. When I select a language, the whole lesson is in the language and there are no instructions other than clicking on pictures, listening to a pronunciation and match said picture with phrase.

Can someone teach me how to use the Rosetta Stone? I downloaded one that is loaded with different languages but as for learning from it, it's not very effective so far. When I select a language, the whole lesson is in the language and there are no instructions other than clicking on pictures, listening to a pronunciation and match said picture with phrase.

Once I acquire my copy,;), i'll look into it :P

I'm taking a beginner Japanese course this semester (ending soon) and it's exactly the same as 085.

You should be able to hold basic convos, regarding locations, time & date, prices, interest, daily activities...except for the lack of descriptive vocabs. And maybe some insight into culture and how the language actually works. It should make learning the language much easier after that, since you should have already got down the Hiraganas , Katakanas and some basic particles to use in sentences.

Learning a foreign language is always fun, especially if u have interest in it. I had fun and enjoyed mine. Hopefully it's the same for you.

Hiraganas , Katakanas

I'm starting from scratch. To me, those are swords :P

I'll look up those charts :D I hear that reading/writing skills are developped further down the line and that it's quite complex?

Basic sentences are just that, simple and basic. Reading/writing gets more complex when you start writing with kanji (think characters you would think as "Chinese" and complex, hiragana and katakana are simpler characters that are syllables haha i see where you get the sword reference from}.

http://www.japanorama.com/images/hiragana.gif

Chart of hiragana, you will be learning these first.