Paul Smith Red Ear dry selvage

john11f

I only just got a pair... so I cannot comment properly... but I think the quality seems good. They have some nice details.

They appear to be one wash. I'm not 100% convinced they are made in Japan. I suspect that some Red Ear stuff may be made in Italy?

wp1020057.jpg

I like the buttons.

wp1020053.jpg

_trinket

I'm a True size 34. I wear 32 on APC l'Anglaise and 33 on Rogan Original Assasins. I tried the Red Ear size 34 but was at least a size bigger. Should I go a size or 2 down or does it shrink after soaking? I find the cut not flattering on the butt (just might be me!). Everything else is just perfect; slim but does not taper.

I also want to find out how unpopular/popular the brand and model is for anyone who care to comment.

Thanks Trinket! Do update me how the denim works for you. But I'd have to confirm if the denim are from Japan. The mere fact that they put japanese characters on the tag should at least have some semblance on the product. The buttons ARE tops!

Quote:

All these brands were doing selvage denim at least 4 years ago. I remember seeing seeing red ear and gucci selvage denim at bargain basement prices a few years ago when nobody bought raw denim.

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Aug 1, 2005 11:24 AM

Quite right. More respect for Paul Smith please. Far from a bandwagon jumper.

Quote:

indeed. i remember selvege helmet lang's from '98 and selvege john varvatos jean jackets from '01. but my point is that we'll really see the opening of the floodgates this fall.

--- Original message by giantreptile on Aug 1, 2005 11:34 AM

I think this is possible, but i only think it will last a season or two and then die out a little. The Jcrew selvedge really is telling.

There are some upfactors: I cannot see raw denim really being too played out. It's been a classic style for decades. The healthy competition may spawn some different/superior products. It also may open the distribution channel for a lot of the Japanese and European brands that are hard to get in the US. On the other hand, the small niche companies that do it right could be drowned out by the big companies and trend. We'll see.

Guest DenimBar1

Red ear denim is made from Japanese fabric from THE BEST mill in Japan. They use the same mill as 45rpm. Now if you think 45 rpm's denim is crap then maybe you'll you will think red ear is crap.

There are some nice inconsistencies in the cloth.

The seat cut is slightly loose - closer to evisu than nudie.

john11f: I went one size down. They've definitely been washed at least once - so I don't expect any shrinkage. I got mine for US$155... wouldn't have paid much more. Actually, last week I also got 2 pairs of Regular Ralf selvage for US$140. I officially have too many jeans.

giantreptile: I wonder if this is the peak of selvage denim... it might be downhill from here. I've seen a lot of selvage jeans ON SALE recently because generally guys have no idea and don't want to wear dark stiff jeans. Note: I am in Australia - this may be different for other countries. For a brand to have a selvage line gives them a good rap from the denim heads, but it's not the raw selvage that sells.

_trinket

Selvage is still jurassic in my country. As long as raw selvage is safe from being maintream, I'm ok with it.

Trinket: I'd love to get a pair of Nudie RRs. How's the fit vs APC English (if you have one)? I go for straight leg and not tight fits.

Anyone who know where to purchase Nudie online? I know Volls but I don't think they ship to Asia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up:

Yesterday I looked at some new RED EAR stuff in Melbourne.

The jeans were made in: China, Romania.

Disappointing that it's marketed as Paul Smith's Japanese brand... but maybe that was my interpretation of the brand.

Their quality is still very good, but prices do not reflect the price of manufacture. AU$400 for a pair of jeans.

I don't hate china made stuff - the quality control and craftsmanship is becoming excellent. But I do wonder about working conditions... and I just think Paul Smith, and Burberry use the cheaper manufacturing in a mis-leading way - and use it to make more profit rather than a cheaper price.

_trinket