the BIG apple... NEW YAWK NEW YAWK

taking my second trip (went last year) at the end of august... 25th till the 29th. I'm not gonna be a lazy bastard by making you guys reply with all the spots to go... but ive searched thru the superfuture databases and read up on the stores that suit my fancy. i'd appreciate if you could give me some spots that i may have missed or arent in the directory... also maybe some of your positive but especially negative experiences with the places. (exluding nom de guerre or comme des garcon, whichever it was, cause i know what this could turn into with that)... so heres my list... and mind you this is just shops... i also need to eat, and have a fun time at night (mind you im only 17... but regardless i dont wanna be walking up and down broadway at night bored outta my mind)

Atrium

D.Q.M.

nom de guerre

alife

alife rivington

nort

recon

sugarhead quarters

atelier (only if its the denim from italy that stiches the X over the back pocket... is it?)

classic kicks

selvedge (i guess its closing down tho?)

ssur plus

supreme

45 rpm

apc

head porter

stussy

union

vacant

what comes around goes around (look for some vintage denims)

levis store (any lvc or stuff worth going there for or will it be the same as the one in every other city?)

fat beats

rugged sole (do they sell good stuff? or shitty stuff?)

and so there it is... break it down for me please. i dont have much time to waste while in NY so i wanna make the most of it.

and remember... if you have spots to recommend other than shops (ie. food, chillin areas, stuff to do thats fun, areas to stay away from, whatever... i wanna hear it)

THANKS IN ADVANCE

friends forever is on 6th i think...between b and c on the eastern side of tompkins square park...decent place...should have some sales when you come in.

steven alan is less street and more awesome frankly...on franklin west of west broadway...

for food:

cheap and casual: max for cheap, amazing italian...4th and ave b, katz's deli on houston and ludlow for pastrami, cafe habana on elizabeth and prince for cuban (could be crowded), tres azteca for mexican on allen street, tiny's giant sandwich shop for sandwiches on rivington, acme and great jones cafe both on great jones for southern food, RUB on 23rd and 7th ave for the best bbq, petite abeille on west broadway for moules frites, bubby's on hudson for brunch, corner bistro on west 4th and jane for burgers.

expensive but worth it: tomoe on thompson for sashimi deluxe, bouley for fine dining on west broadway...and a ton of others but ill leave it there for now.

bars: most places in the lower east side card...yr best bet is to go before 8pm but you might get called out. otherwise, id recommend little branch on 7th ave.

clubs: luke and leroy isnt half bad for dancing...fridays are lame but decent techno, saturdays is packed with 18 year old gay boys making out...its actually not a bad time...i go with my girlfriend once in awhile. they usually dont id...but dont look like a tool either.

Quote:

taking my second trip (went last year) at the end of august... 25th till the 29th. I'm not gonna be a lazy bastard by making you guys reply with all the spots to go... but ive searched thru the superfuture databases and read up on the stores that suit my fancy. i'd appreciate if you could give me some spots that i may have missed or arent in the directory... also maybe some of your positive but especially negative experiences with the places. (exluding nom de guerre or comme des garcon, whichever it was, cause i know what this could turn into with that)... so heres my list... and mind you this is just shops... i also need to eat, and have a fun time at night (mind you im only 17... but regardless i dont wanna be walking up and down broadway at night bored outta my mind)

Atrium

D.Q.M.

nom de guerre

alife

alife rivington

nort

recon

sugarhead quarters

atelier (only if its the denim from italy that stiches the X over the back pocket... is it?)

classic kicks

selvedge (i guess its closing down tho?)

ssur plus

supreme

45 rpm

apc

head porter

stussy

union

vacant

what comes around goes around (look for some vintage denims)

levis store (any lvc or stuff worth going there for or will it be the same as the one in every other city?)

fat beats

rugged sole (do they sell good stuff? or shitty stuff?)

and so there it is... break it down for me please. i dont have much time to waste while in NY so i wanna make the most of it.

and remember... if you have spots to recommend other than shops (ie. food, chillin areas, stuff to do thats fun, areas to stay away from, whatever... i wanna hear it)

THANKS IN ADVANCE

--- Original message by showbiz00ditc on Jul 25, 2005 05:34 PM

been there recently and hit many of those stores. comments:

Nom De Guerre: Loved it, even though I know it gets a lot of hate on here for some reason. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Atelier: I don't think this is the same company.

Steven Allan: I would second the Steven Alan recommendation. Great variety of brands.

Earnest Sewn: I don't like their jeans too much, but if you do, you can custom make a pair at their very cool looking store in the meat packing district.

Jean Shop: Their own line of selvedge denim products. Cool leather stuff as well. also in the meat packing district.

Vice store: good variety of brands and nice staff.

Stackhouse: along the lines of union, nearby supreme.

Fatbeats: If you're collecting vinyl, i'd recommend sound library and turntable lab over fatbeats.

Levis: Nothing in the Levis store you cannot get anywhere else.

Hey showbiz I'd peep Premium Goods in the BK. Super dope spot for good sneakers, and good people. Homies that run it are mad down sick guys....

Thats the only thing I'd add. New York gets press about its spots all the time so everything has already been said....

Hoodies from Nom are illness on a stick, and Stackhouse has some good items like ill backpacks....

Don't sleep on Union either, things can be had up in there....

No Mas is always on levels!

Here's my list of shops that would be a pretty good mix of styles.

Odin: Surface to Air, Salvar, Nice Collective, Some good Japanese brands

Lawwanas in Williamsburg: If you're into Vans Vault, and other cheap punk accessories

Atelier: For Hi-End cutting edge clothes and boots. Carpe Diem, Raf Simmons, Rick Owens, Number (N)ine, Undercover, Cloak

Jeffrey: For Designer Labels: Margiela, Dior, Jill Sander, etc.

Mankind: Acne Jeans, Paul and Joe, some Belgian Swedish labels

Flying A (Across from Union) good mix of trendy labels with Vintage shoes/ accessories, although the vintage is on the pricier side, the selection is great.

Zakka:Graphic designer t-shirts, pick up some Men's Nonno and Boon magazine

Alife: Best collection of kicks I've seen

Classickicks: more kicks

There's more but these are what's on top of my head at the moment.

sugarhead quarters +++

can't fuck with schillers brunch..me and my girl go there all the time. good food...not too bad $$$

if you have a fake..orchard bar is tight on sat nights.

If you're 17 and a dude and you don't have a fake I.D. to get into bars and such... you might want to try finding a bodega that will sell you a 40 or something of that nature, brown-bag it and go hang out at Union Square park. There's always a big crowd of kids over there, skating, dancing, whatever.

you see how picky i am with my shoes, and they only go on my feet!

icon_smile_kisses.gif

That's the right adress psyiko. It's really tricky to get there if you don't frequent the store. If I'm not mistaken, it's between 1st and 2nd ave at 11st. Once you see Venieros bakeshop, you know you're near. Or just call them if you're lost. The staff is really friendly.