Should I still buy a Rogan??

john11f

Quote: has it been over commercialized? is it played on superfuture because of the washes, cuts? or because they don't have a 'raw' selvage?

sorry homie, but I don't agree with your logic

buy it if you like it, who cares if everyone loves it or hate it.

Quote:

d,

i am asking rather than making a statement- i didn't think rogans had been over commercialized and i agree with you, if you like them get em. i have a pair and think that they are excellent.

--- Original message by kremedla on Jul 19, 2005 06:53 AM

Quote: d,

i am asking rather than making a statement- i didn't think rogans had been over commercialized and i agree with you, if you like them get em. i have a pair and think that they are excellent.

sorry man

I meant to qoute the dude that asked the question, not you

they maybe popular among the denimheads, but you'll be hard pressed to find a pair in a thousand among the unwashed masses. i think the quality of construction and attention to detail are excellent, but i don't agree with most of their washes. so i own a pair of the corduroy in the same cut. at $200+ you have quite a bit of good jeans out there, but in strict fashion sense...i think these rogan's are among the creme de la creme.

"God is Dead" - Neitzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

I like Rogan for what it is, and I don't think it is over commercialized (yet?). I am wearing a pair now. I think many people on the board might not like them because emphasis is more on modern cuts and not the denim itself. I do not like pre washed/distressed jeans so I picked up the unwashed versions of the Stasis jeans. They are a light weight denim that wear more like trousers than jeans. The add a little variety to my jeans collection which is pretty much all 5 pocket levis style jeans. I like the details (4 colors of threads, triple stitch inseam, copper buttons, pen pocket?, red cloth lined pockets). Construction and design is very nice as well. The tag said they are designed to age quickly; I am interested to see how the denim will look after a few washes. All that being said, my only real complaint is that I think Rogans are a little over priced.

Quote:

Or has the brand been over commercialized?

--- Original message by john11f on Jul 19, 2005 06:19 AM

i dont think its how big or how much press a company gets that makes it commercial, its if the design integrity is lost in order to have financial sucess.

i think rogans current success was earned the hard way, and he still hasnt comprimised his vision and quality on the rogan line. out of all of the american denim companies, his is really the only one that directionally moved the industry on a global level. he is probably one of the most knocked off designers out there and he hasnt had nearly as much financil sucess as paper /seven / earnest etc..

sweet-orr

Quote:

Rogan is a solid denim brand. I give them props for the whole worker pant thing. Paper did it first with a pant called the icn slash pocket and rogan took a good thing and blew it up. There twist seems are nice. I find them a bit high in the rise, but Im not complaining they're good for what they are...

--- Original message by STOLEN FROM POLAND on Jul 19, 2005 08:32 PM

i actually think rogan had his slash pocket jean models out first about 6 years ago, before paper denim, although both companies started around the same time. rogans first cuts were really-really small numbers and had very small distribution-(the original rigids with the stitch thorough front pockets) i think it took alot longer for rogan to be recognized because his distribution was so much smaller than papers, and still is.im pretty sure the icn came out after paper denim was established. also, rogan started his company pretty much on his own and paper was financly backed by dick gilbert who owns mudd jeans from the beginning. paper is still owned by mudd.

both companies develope thier product at some of the same factories, so naturally you are going to see some similarities.

i also think the rogan jeans are far superior in terms of design detail (thread colors, hardware, labels, contsruction, materials etc..)

i actually dont own any roagn jeans, but i really appreciate the original point of view and attention to detail...

sweet-orr

Denim worker pants with chino (aka french) style pockets have been around long before Rogan and PDC. eg. Lee 903's from around 1914. Since then, they have been done by loads of companies both workwear and 'designer' brands.

I like Rogan. It's definitely a company that knows and cares about denim.

Quote:

Denim worker pants with chino (aka french) style pockets have been around long before Rogan and PDC. eg. Lee 903's from around 1914. Since then, they have been done by loads of companies both workwear and 'designer' brands.

I like Rogan. It's definitely a company that knows and cares about denim.

--- Original message by ringring on Jul 20, 2005 04:09 AM

right on-

im not claiming rogan invented denim, slash pockets, workwear etc.. far from it, but he definatly and consciencely brought vintage design details to the for-front of the fashion denim marketplace in the last 5 to 6 years , before alot of other companies even knew anything about vintage denim,most of them still dont.

rogan is a leader in the marketplace, most everyone else is a follower, and takes ideas from companies like his and commercializes them.

what i like about rogan is that he consistanly manages to tie back his design references to something real / vintage and simotanously makes it fresh and new.

sweet-orr

Thread starter, are you kidding? Def NOT commercial!

Rogan is the shit for denim. Keep telling him to lose the stupid T's though.

The 1 in a thousand reference earlier in this thread was right on... You wouldn't find that many so-called denim heads in his stuff.

Everything else I would add has been covered. Nice to see a thread that has his back!

-Dub

Quote:

dscn01536nx.jpg

dscn01546jd.jpg

dscn01558qc.jpg

dscn01579qo.jpg

dscn01586iw.jpg

dscn01602sv.jpg

dscn01610op.jpg

They are much darker than the pics indicate. They were also just a little "shiny" when I first got them. Must be from some process? But now they are duller looking. worn them maybe like 4 or 5 months, not washed yet.

--- Original message by soultek on Jul 20, 2005 01:13 PM

THE SHINE IS FROM RESIN. THE ARE RESINED AND BAKED. THE RESIN MAKES THE INDIGO CHIP AWAY FASTER FROM THE YARNS, AND KEEPS THE UNWORN AREAS DARKER. THATS ALSO WHTY THEY FEEL SO DRY.

sweet-orr

anyone else think that the back pocket stitching of newer rogans has started to closely resemble the ernest sewn pocket?

i think rogan did great things for the industry, but i'm troubled at his work on loomstate and edun. i can't say that i blame him for starting either of them - since rogan hasn't been clearing a whole lot, but to call a line 'loomstate' and use organic cotton, then process it with resins and chems - that doesn't sound eco to me. And as for Edun, a colab with a rockstar? it hasn't taken off. why is Edun one of the most marked-down denims? check it out.

if i could have something from rogan it would be one of their cashmere sweaters. as far as denim goes there's much more than i'd rather have...

I have one of the first pairs of rogan. They didnt even come in waist size back then but were sized like bapes with S, M, L. Now of course they have waist sizes. Rogan do make raw selvedge. They overpriced? Hell ya. But then again most denim brands are

Quote:

Id post a pic of both the 2000 rogans and the new pair limited to 100 made 2005 rogans if someone could tell me how to upload a picture

--- Original message by booya on Jul 20, 2005 03:55 PM

www.imageshack.us

then use the above button to insert images. paste the direct link address between the img commands.

hm, i got a similar pair, but without the outseam selvage. and in place of the centre-back loop, there's a v-cut which is sewn with selvage denim patch. and i got them for 1/10 of what booya got ($80) during rogan sample sale... with that price, i'm not complaining icon_smile_wink.gif