Moving To South Africa

beroldsky

Guest flashkobalt

Born and raised in JHB, but went to boarding school in Pretoria (Studying in Australia now, but that's a different story). As far as S.A. goes, it is an amazing place, but you do need to make sure you stay safe, and don't do anything stupid, like wandering into alleys or the city at night etc.

Nightlife is really good too (although I haven't been back for a year or so), I remember it being pretty good. It is however one of those places where it REALLY helps to know someone who lives there, just so you can get around and know where to go and so on. If you want to hang with high society, Rivonia is chock full of loaded people partying. Little more street/hippie/artsy crowd in Melville, which is a nice relaxed chillout zone with some cool bars, and probably more interesting down-to-earth folks.

Now Cape Town is a world-class party, and if you make it down there, be sure and go to Long Street, which is essentially great bar strip filled with UCT students learning about the bottom of their beer glasses. The V&A Waterfront is where the cash hangs out for dinner/drinks etc. When we head down there we stay on Camps Bay which is an awesome spot for goofing off at the beach (although the Atlantic water is goddamn freezing).

The one thing I REALLY, REALLY miss from back home is the amount of cute girls running around everywhere. Trust me, hit a bar called Eclipse on Camp's Bay or La Med on Clifton during December, and life probably won't be the same afterwards...

Now I'm sure I've left a lot out, and probably gotten something wrong in this, but hopefully you'll either know someone who lives there, or make some friends who'll be able to correct this...

Have fun you lucky bastard :)