John Galliano ss08

sphoxx

Wow, talk about a statement...

"Galliano's profligate willingness to spin a show out of the most unlikely elements knows no bounds—the model in the stick-on beard might have been Castro or Bin Laden—so anyone with an eye to singling out something as banal as a commercial possibility must edit like a demon: There were Arabic-influenced prints, pieces with wire-stiffened definition, and tricksy camo items that looked promising. Johnny Rotten chanting "World Destruction" on the soundtrack was possibly closer to the real mood of the collection than any specific piece of clothing."

Tim Banks for style.com

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/145/00130mst4.jpg

The whole collection's basically caricatures of "terrorists" or bringers of the apocalypse; like a journey though the history of "evil" from a western perspective. Most pieces, totally unwearable, but as far as saying something with clothing.. dope! Other shows are so blah, commercial; schmegs around neck? fuckthat! at least someone's not afraid to make that reference properly. Gotta dig the fantasy every once in a while.

Kamikaze (wwII)

00130mro0.jpg

Desert Storm

00170mvb7.jpg

Nam

00220mbv9.jpg

Arab (oil war? all of them smoking)

00290mti8.jpg

00310mfv4.jpg

French/North Africa/Gurrilla militant

00390mww7.jpg

00400mgy0.jpg

USSR/Bin Laden

00480mjx3.jpg

00490mwe6.jpg

After we all nuke eachother....

00560mau7.jpg

fun stuff; he always knows how to tell a story.

This was where I was going to tell the fashion industry to go fuck itself, but the lengths you have to go to make your clothing "speak" has set me a-chuckle.

I edited the original post, replaced the Style.com images with ones from imageshack. Just letting you know I wasn't censoring anything (just changing photos), but please, in future, if you're hosting a collection upload the pictures on imageshack or some other server.

I dig this.

• 1 year later...