this shit is ridiculous

miguel

Fucking LAME as hell.

Certain shit just needs to be left alone!

I don't need to see Heath Ledger play Tony Alva & I don't need to see Minor Threat re-appropriated for something Nike SB.

If their are heads at Nike with hardcore roots (I know none... & I know Swooshville pretty fuckin' up & down) then I'm even more shocked that this was done...

-Dub

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-06/23.shtml

Nike Campaign "Borrows" Album Art

Rob Kleckner reports:

Exhibit A: Classic cover art for Minor Threat's self-titled 1984 compilation.

Exhibit B: Nike Skateboarding's poster image for its "Major Threat" 2005 East Coast Tour.

You don't need a degree in graphic design to notice the similarities here. They're the fucking same. Oh, wait-- one is blue, not red. And Major, not Minor. And there are some Nike logos tossed in there. This brings to mind an interview with Vanilla Ice, defending the differences between "Ice Ice Baby" and "Under Pressure" ("dun dun dun duh-duh-duh dun" vs. "DUN dun dun dun duh-duh-duh dun").

Come on, Nike, your Swoosh is one of the most iconic brand images in the world, perhaps a tiny notch below the Golden Arches and maybe Coca-Cola; you don't need to be appropriating another culture for yourselves.

But Nike is smart enough to know better, right? They must have asked permission. We spoke to a representative from Dischord Records, Minor Threat's label, if Nike had asked to borrow these images. They said the following: "No, they stole it and we're not happy about it. Nike is a giant corporation which is attempting to manipulate the alternative skate culture to create an even wider demand for their already ubiquitous brand. Nike represents just about the antithesis of what Dischord stands for and it makes me sick to my stomach to think they are using this explicit imagery to fool kids into thinking that the general ethos of this label, and Minor Threat in particular, can somehow be linked to Nike's mission. It's disgusting."

Dischord is not sure of what action they are going to take, but you can tell they are not happy with Nike's choice. We will keep you updated as we learn more about the situation.

* Nike Skateboarding: http://www.nike.com/nikeskateboarding/

* Dischord Records: http://www.dischord.com/

-Dub

Seems a little arrogant that nike would do this without permission...

especially considering that it's being utilized as a tool to market commercial product...

but this is the age of consumerism, and all things will continue to be exploited...

but I also get the feeling in was intended as a homage...

Edited by KEERST on Jun 24, 2005 at 10:02 AM

"If their are heads at Nike with hardcore roots then I'm even more shocked that this was done..."

i couldn't agree more. not saying that in a purist, or elitist way, just equating it to:

Nike SB repping (ripping, or my favorite word "tribute" or whatever the fuck u wanna call it) Minor Threat, is in a way kinda like Ashton Kutcher (or insert your favorite MTV celeb) rocking dunks.

i guess what goes around comes around and then comes around and goes around and then comes back around again.

you gotta wonder "why did they do it?"

i guess the answer is probably just like everything else: "just because"

coolness for the sake of being cool. isnt it great?

jsbc.jpg

It's ironic- basically Nike is a Major Threat to the skater owned companies and is stealing an icon of something representing the opposite spectrum from a major comporation.

But I mean what can you do. None of us (most of us) aren't opposed to rocking Nikes regardless of principle and politics. Its just odd and discomforting for a company so big to "appropriate" something so DIY and radically left.

They will laugh all the way to the bank with it though. At least they didn't "appropriate" the Crass logo or something. That would be straight rediculous.

EDIT: And that shit IS complex. You don't have to be an member of the secret international shadow government to know that there's no such thing as bad press.

Actin' bad like a kid at Six Flags...

Edited by RedFoxxworth on Jun 24, 2005 at 11:46 AM

dude, i dunno. i really think it isnt that deep or complex at all. i mean nike has always been a marketing juggernaut in the past, but this particular skate demo ad is about as shallow as it gets.

theres nothing to it.

Hardcore = "cool shit"

referencing Minor Threat = "cool shit"

all i see is a bunch of people trying really hard to be really cool. yeah i'm sure some of the kids in the SB division listen to Minor Threat every now and then on their ipods at work. and yeah it IS ironic, but i can't see it even being remotely close to intentional like you guys said. the initial success of the Nike SB division was a fluke and a half to begin with, not some calculated marketing scam (which in some ways it now has become). you're giving way too much credit to something where it doesnt exactly apply.

i wasnt trying to shoot your point down at all. and i agree with a lot of the points you made, i just didnt think they applied to this flyer. it is what it is, coolness for the sake of being cool. not that theres anything wrong with that and im sure the demo will be just as cool, i just personally think the flyer is fucking wack.

the reason why shit like this is so effective has nothing to do with "brilliant marketing" its the exact opposite. shit is a lazy gimmick thats been done to death since forever, but hey its a sure-fire formula that still works on any idiot with a credit card and a sleeping bag. theres nothing incredibly "brilliant" about reusing the oldest trick in the book other then the fact that they're able to easilly bank so much money off so much stupidity.

if the shoes were really all that hot to begin with, they wouldnt need all this dumb bullshit to make themselves look better then they are.

Meth you're on the ball for sure...

Weider/Kennedy does all Nikes marketing & is actually (along with practically everything else) owned by Nike.

As far as The SB division... I know those cats, know how they stumbled on it, etc. Some of the success was based on solid decisions by guys like Robbie Jeffers & some of it was & is just straight up timing & bullshit.

It's not all that fuckin' deep. At this point it is a machine & they do a hell of a lot of lazy shit that consumers look all deeply into searching for & creating "brilliance"...

It's whatever... I love my Nike guys but there aren't that many Einstiens in Beaverton or the Blue House or wherever... They're chasing ambulances barely catching shit before it tips right now unfortunately.

-Dub

im sure theyre all good people just doin their jobs and

"but there aren't that many Einstiens in Beaverton or the Blue House or wherever..."

yup. exactly why they would rely on such tactics and rely so heavily on all this double label shit. sometimes the easiest way to get accepted into a group is to buy all your friends.

lets face it Nike's true heritage isnt anything remotely to do with skateboarding and im not even talking about basketball, but really its marketing brilliance from the 80s-90s (credit to W&K like you mentioned)

"Just Do It"

"Its Gotta Be The Shoes"

and lets not forget my personal favorite: "Be True To Your School"

...speaking of which........ hmmm

Edited by Meth Huffer on Jun 24, 2005 at 02:29 PM

Quote: If their are heads at Nike with hardcore roots (I know none... & I know Swooshville pretty fuckin' up & down) then I'm even more shocked that this was done..

Yup themdouble, there are at Nike SB. They don't walk around with XXX tattooed on their neck, but they're there.

It is surprising how much controversy that flier has stirred up though. Parody and reappropriation are pretty inescapable in our "world," but I guess what upsets everyone is that its Nike ripping Dischord (which are as polar as you can get).

... any thoughts on the upcoming Melvins Dunk? icon_smile_blackeye.gif

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com

I:M took the words right out of my mouth .

Here Here Meth !

Perhaps one of the lamest things I have seen in years .

Anyone who in their right mind , thinks that this is in anyway or form an "Homage" watches waaaay too much "Real"World .

Clearly a feeble attempt to bolster / legitimize their presence in the skate industry.

" A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." • Sir Winston Leonard spencer/Churchill •

Edited by Cleanercorp on Jun 24, 2005 at 05:52 PM

Free Corgieshoe!! Bobby, thanks for the i:m graphic you made me smile at the end of a hard week.

I saw MT in a small bar and I think the ad. is great: fuck Minor Threat. What could be better than a company like Nike giving the finger to “super “consumers? If you have a big Nike collection and you like MT you should be happy; a huge corporation just gave you the middle finger.

Laugh at yourself, it is relaxing.