Martin Margiela suits

denimAddict

hi guys

i would like to have some opinions before i invest on a Martin Margiela suit.

Are they any good?

i know they are different from your Brionis and Saville Row in terms of look but what exactly is good about it, i am just not too informed about his replica suits...

the latest one, if i am not wrong is the replica on an old Hong Kong tailored suit, for instance.

And what are the difference between the replicas (line 0 and line 10 if i remember correctly) and the regular mens Line 10?

Would appreciate if guys who are informed can help out on this.

Many thanks.:)

hi guys

i would like to have some opinions before i invest on a Martin Margiela suit.

Are they any good?

i know they are different from your Brionis and Saville Row in terms of look but what exactly is good about it, i am just not too informed about his replica suits...

the latest one, if i am not wrong is the replica on an old Hong Kong tailored suit, for instance.

And what are the difference between the replicas (line 0 and line 10 if i remember correctly) and the regular mens Line 10?

Would appreciate if guys who are informed can help out on this.

Many thanks.:)

Same reason why all nice suits are nice...impecable tailoring, beautiful fabrics, and margiela, sometimes an interesting finish, and as you said, replicas of historical garments. After wearing a pair of his pants, I've never purchased a pair of dress pants from any other designer.

Info on the difference between the numbered collections can be found on his website, but generally, 10 is the standard collection, 0 10 are the hand tailored "artisanal" pieces, 22 are the shoes/accessories, and I believe many of the replica garments were in line 14, which was considered essential wardrobe pieces.

I find Margiela suits to be of better quality than comparably priced designers - Jil Sander, Dior Homme, Helmut Lang, Raf Simons. The cuts tend to be more of a traditional fit and not as slim as JS or DH, but the detailing and materials are impeccable.

Everyone needs at least one Margiela suit in their life.

I find Margiela suits to be of better quality than comparably priced designers - Jil Sander, Dior Homme, Helmut Lang, Raf Simons. The cuts tend to be more of a traditional fit and not as slim as JS or DH, but the detailing and materials are impeccable.

Everyone needs at least one Margiela suit in their life.

cool.

thanks for the answer. i have helmut lang suits from the real helmut lang time and i loved it and do owned some margiela but they are all ready to wear casual pieces so i dont really know how margiela fits.

in fact, all those brands you mentioned, jil sander, lang and DH are all i like and will wear. It's good to hear margiela is best amongst them.

thank you guys for replying.

cheers.

any pics of the replica of the hong kong tailored suit? Sounds interesting, i don't think i've come across it here in HK (but i haven't been to their flagship yet).

But if you really wanted to, i'm sure you could score a plane ticket for an 2 night stay and get an actual HK MTM suit for better value.

hhmm, unfortunately i do not have any scan facilities else i will scan it for you.

but they can be found in the latest copy of huge magazine though.

i know there is also a previous one, also from the same line from margiela from a tailor in kyoto and that one looked superb but i could not find it anywhere now. i think the concept is to look for good suits around the world and replicate them. it's all very intriguing to me.

this is something i have always liked about the brand.

ok, i will seriously think about getting to HK and get a MTM suit :)

how much do they cost anyway?

ok, i will seriously think about getting to HK and get a MTM suit :)

how much do they cost anyway?

I got a MTM suit (well according to the guy there it's bespoke, but i have doubts...the suit's not even fully canvassed), charcoal grey, 2 button, super 120's wool, $400 (after negotiation). The fit is impeccable, better than any Jil Sander, Costume National, Hugo Boss suit I have ever tried on that cost probably at least 3 times what i paid for mine. The only off the rack suit i've had on that fit better is from Dior, which costs 5 times that MTM suit.

As a bonus, i wasn't happy with the pants, i took them back and suggested I'll just buy another pair...the tailor simply retailored them, after which they came out perfect and I was not charged for the service.

cool.. hand basted? by martin suit are you guys referring to the matching separates they do every season? they are pretty cool but usu pretty high-waisted and generally fairly casual (sports coat). or is there a straight up formal suit option that has somehow escaped my notice?

btw costume quality tends to garbage, maybe even worse than gucci. dries (as usual) is usu a pretty good value proposition as far as rtw goes, esp on sale.

I have a 14 line suit. They come with some interesting details, but you have to pay extra to get em finished off. They leave one of the button-holes on the front as fake (so you can get it converted to 1-button, or change it's placement and get a real buttonhole made), and one 3/4 of the sleeve buttons are functional as well. I suspect this is so that if the sleeves are too long, you can take the bottom button off and have room for shortening them.

As for fit and fabric, both are great. The trousers are the best fitting pair I own.

But if you really wanted to, i'm sure you could score a plane ticket for an 2 night stay and get an actual HK MTM suit for better value.

What does MTM stand for? I'm going to Hong Kong next year and I want to buy two suits there. Will be my first actual suits, i guess HK is the best place to get them?