How hard does everyone wear their jeans?

soonami

I realize denim was intended to be workwear, but how hard does everyone wear their jeans to get the amazing fades? I work in a research lab so doubt that I would get any nice fades anywhere other than on my ass and maybe the honeycombs.

I don't think too many of you here are landscapers or construction workers, so what do you do to break in your jeans?

Hey yo pipe down! You already know the first rule of Fight Club...

I can't wear mine that hard because I work in an office. I'm lucky to get casual Friday so I wear them 3 days a week. For those three days, I wear them everywhere except to sleep and the gym. If I don't do anything rigorous, then so be it. If I end up skidding on pavement riding a bike, then so be it. I wear my jeans and whatever comes of it will be.

Truth be told though, I'd probably like to wear them a little harder than I'm able to.

i get up and put them on at 6:00

go to work, which is usually in an office, but i may have some surveying to do in the field.

i skate 4 times a week, a few hours at a time

i walk maybe 2 to 3 miles on a normal day

ive been known to fuck on them, wear them to the beach, whatever im doing.

i take them off when i fall asleep at 12:00, or 3-5 if i am out drinking.

Well I can't wear jeans to work 5 days a week. So I'll wear them after work if I do anything. Other than that it's only on the weekend. So I figure it will take me 10 years to get any decent wear on my few pairs. But I personally like dark raw denim.

I work in an office which lets me slide with wearing my jeans. So I rock them 7days a week.... -just normal daily wear and nyc city adventures. (i.e. stooping, subway riding...)

I used to bike a few miles every day. If I see a tree that seems like I could climb it, I do. I've played ultimate frisbee in them. I volunteered to help people move out of their dorms, and wore them while I did that. I found a parking garage with ten stories of steps and I sprinted up and down both ways. Sometimes I will just start air-cycling if I am sitting and bored. I've gone camping in them with friends, and I wear them to do chores around the house. In all of that, this is all the wear I have to show for it after threeish months:

dsc02776bj1.jpg

dsc02784ii6.jpg

I think that time is probably the most important factor. Fade will come just through walking, sitting, etc.

you don't have to abuse denim to get amazing fades. you just have to wear it.

serious abuse doesn't always result in amazing fades. i have one pair that i've designated for abuse. i have to wash them more often because they get coated in stuff that breaks denim down. and also because they become too filthy to wear. the fades are interesting but i've seen better on denim with long term regular wear. they mostly just look beat to hell.

Everyday...from the time I decide to get dressed (anytime from around 9am to noon)...until sleep or sex or both...(anytime from around 12am to 8am)...

I sit in them when I'm in the studio, walk around, take the train, bus, taxi in 'em...sit in cars driven by friends, sit in restaurants having lunch with my girl...do the occassional barhop in 'em, drink stella or various liquor concoctions in 'em, smoke the best high-grade in 'em...laugh at people in Soho and Williamsburg in 'em...walked in sun, snow, and rain in 'em...I've fought in 'em...spilled beer on 'em a few times...helped moved a 61" projector TV uptown (on Sugar Hill...yes it is really a HILL...) up some fuckin' obscene amount of front steps in 'em...saw a rodeo at Madison Square in 'em...saw Public Enemy and X-Clan in 'em...going to see Bad Brains, Wu Tang, Beastie Boys in August in 'em...wow...denim that harbours memories...a beautiful thing.

I also want a GT or Haro bike to do some street BMX sometime soon...the weather is beautiful in NYC now...I also play midnight street soccer in 'em...that's a sweaty sport.

Wear them to death...don't be affraid...bottom line.

Here's what happened with the pair I've been working on since last July.

I wore them a lot. Biking, hiking, to class and work, whatever. Basically everywhere but the gym or sleep (but even the latter happened sometimes if I was travelling or something).

Around 6 months in I did a hot wash with a little soap. By then the creases were pretty well set and starting to fade.

Since then I've worn them into some caves, which tend to be rather muddy and rocky. Had to wash after those trips.

This progression wasn't deliberate on my part, but I'm happy with the results. Had I done the caving stuff when I first got the jeans, I'd have had to wash much earlier and more frequently, and I don't think they'd have looked as good.

I probably should have just stopped this essay after the first two sentences.

I wore my Sams every day since Nov 1. I walk around the city all day, I have 3-4 clients in different parts of the city every day, I take the subway/bus/path. When it's warm I eat lunch in the park or on rooftops (knowing a lot of doormen comes handy sometimes).

I don't think you need to wear your jeans hard to get great results, just wear them often. I don't even think about fades, I just really enjoy wearing my Sams.

i usually wear jeans 6 days a week....

do most things in them - walk a reasonable amount, drive, go out partying...

playing gigs in them probably beats them up the most. they get nice and sweaty inside and out, and the knees get rubbed in sweat, beer, and grime from the stage from when i am setting my shit up.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I wear mine almost everyday that I can but since it's only been 2 months the progress might just seem slow to me.

I do a lot of gardening and landscaping work in my little city lot, but I am apprehensive about wearing out there for fear of getting them too dirty to wear everyday again. On a normal day though I walk probably 5+ miles getting to the train station, to work, to class, and at work. So the creases are set but only the honeycomb peaks are starting to fade

no...i own it

My understanding was that fight club didn't belong to any one person...

In any case, I sit. I put them on around 7am, drive for an hour to work, sit for 9 hours, drive an hour home, visit with the girlfriend and whatnot. Virtually no activity in my day to day life. Simply sitting. It's good for whiskers, but not a lot else.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I wear mine almost everyday that I can but since it's only been 2 months the progress might just seem slow to me.

I do a lot of gardening and landscaping work in my little city lot, but I am apprehensive about wearing out there for fear of getting them too dirty to wear everyday again. On a normal day though I walk probably 5+ miles getting to the train station, to work, to class, and at work. So the creases are set but only the honeycomb peaks are starting to fade

depends on the jeans too. if you get a pair of gap jeans or something they will take forever and a half to fade no matter what you do in them