Shopping for a car.

Vitamian

Ok, fair enough. I guess it depends, but I have an old Chevelle that I used to drive daily and it was a bit nerve racking worrying about accicdents, scratches, wild shopping carts, door dings, etc. Also, old cars are really easy to steal and that is another thing that might be of concern (do you have a garage?). Also, depending on where you live and what kind of winters you have I sure as fuck wouldnt drive it anywhere they salt the roads. Lastly, sometimes it is just nice to have the comforts of a modern car (even a shitty one), like getting into an old car in the morninng is cold as fuck (less/worse insulation, vinyl seats), steering and braking are not up to par with modern cars (not with out serious mods anyhow) and theres no airbag, etc. Acceleration is another matter and if you like torgue, well there's no substitution for displacement. Given my experience, my opinion is to get a shitty little beater and then have the old school as a weekend/date/cruiser type deal. Much more practical if you can pull it off.

There are ways to manipulate the eletric system to prevent theft.

However, I had a 1969 Mercedes-Benz as a daily driver once; I really hate the insulated feeling of a modern car and I perversely like the smell of a little gasoline in the cabin. Air-conditioning issues can be solved with a small taped-on-the dashboard fan and heating systems usually work on vintage cars.

Power steering isn't an issue nor are assisted brakes or things like airbags. None of the cars I've owned ever had airbags.

I also think that a '60s Porsche would make a slightly more practical driver.

Contrary to my Constantinople, I am in California, the holy land of old cars.

There are ways to manipulate the eletric system to prevent theft.

True, an I did them on my Chevelle, but that doesnt mean that some asshole might not fuck up your shit by trying to break inside via the window or punching out you lock cylinders. This happend to my friends car and they didnt get the car, but they did a lot of damage in the pursuit of getting into the car and then broke the column and some other shit, again, do you have a garage?

However, I had a 1969 Mercedes-Benz as a daily driver once; I really hate the insulated feeling of a modern car and I perversely like the smell of a little gasoline in the cabin. Air-conditioning issues can be solved with a small taped-on-the dashboard fan and heating systems usually work on vintage cars.

This basically boils down to personal preference, but please dont disgrace your car with a gaudy AC unit that tapes to the dash. There are plenty of retrofit kits that go underhood and operate like a trad AC system.

Power steering isn't an issue nor are assisted brakes or things like airbags. None of the cars I've owned ever had airbags.

They might not be an issue for you, but this still doesnt negate the fact that the car pitured above wont stop in near the distance of a modern car (drums on all 4s I assume?) without serious modification. Same goes for steering, and I am not simply talking about the difference between PS and Standard steering. I can, however, appreciate the fact that its sometimes nice to have manual streeing as one feels more a part of the machine (ala fixed gear bikes vs. geared), but when you drive a car daily, in traffic, on the freeway, and the like you may wish that you had the responsiveness and technology of a modern set of brakes and streering system, if some jackass slams on his breaks in front of you. Just a thought.

Im not trying to tell what to do, but you asked... even though it seems like you already have a plan of action that youre going to follow regardless of what is said here.

True, an I did them on my Chevelle, but that doesnt mean that some asshole might not fuck up your shit by trying to break inside via the window or punching out you lock cylinders. This happend to my friends car and they didnt get the car, but they did a lot of damage in the pursuit of getting into the car and then broke the column and some other shit, again, do you have a garage?

Indeed, I have a garage.

This basically boils down to personal preference, but please dont disgrace your car with a gaudy AC unit that tapes to the dash. There are plenty of retrofit kits that go underhood and operate like a trad AC system.

The '69 Mercedes actually had an original A/C unit by Thermo-King. It's the '60s Porsches that don't have A/C. Certainly, a Cadillac Fleetwood has A/C.

They might not be an issue for you, but this still doesnt negate the fact that the car pitured above wont stop in near the distance of a modern car (drums on all 4s I assume?) without serious modification. Same goes for steering, and I am not simply talking about the difference between PS and Standard steering. I can, however, appreciate the fact that its sometimes nice to have manual streeing as one feels more a part of the machine (ala fixed gear bikes vs. geared), but when you drive a car daily, in traffic, on the freeway, and the like you may wish that you had the responsiveness and technology of a modern set of brakes and streering system, if some jackass slams on his breaks in front of you. Just a thought.

Im not trying to tell what to do, but you asked... even though it seems like you already have a plan of action that youre going to follow regardless of what is said here.

Not to be flippant, but most of the cars I've driven/owned were cars that didn't have technology beyond 1975 so such occassions as braking and stopping are really non-issues.

I believe they are drum brakes.

One of the things I can't quite accept is paying $20,000 for something like a Toyota when I could get something like a '60s Lancia or a '60s/'70s Porsche 911.

One of the things I can't quite accept is paying $20,000 for something like a Toyota when I could get something like a '60s Lancia or a '60s/'70s Porsche 911.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with this point, but you dont have to pay a grip to get something like what Im talking about. I had a 89 prelude that I beat the hell out of (cost around $1800) while I was swapping , rebuilding brakes, etc. on my Chevelle.

Anyway, if you do get something nice post a pic in the what do you drive thread.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with this point, but you dont have to pay a grip to get something like what Im talking about. I had a 89 prelude that I beat the hell out of (cost around $1800) while I was swapping , rebuilding brakes, etc. on my Chevelle.

Anyway, if you do get something nice post a pic in the what do you drive thread.

But then isn't it always more fabulous to have a totally unconventional choice as daily drivers? Like those people who only have two Porsche 356s as their drivers or something.

I'm also reminded of those people who with a wrench in their back-pocket, drove and barely kept up then-worthless '50s Maseratis in the '70s and early '80s.

I mean, for the price of a tawdry new BMW 3-series, I could get a Maserati 3500GT!

i'd be careful about getting an older car, especially one of that caliber.

it's gorgeous, but you've got to take into considering where/when you'll want to drive it, and it's true purpose. to be honest, the majority of people that have cars that old have a secondary car for actual driving purposes, and that would be more of a cruiser.

you've just got to do the research to make sure about insurance, car parts, and even any manuals that you can find, and make sure it's worth the financial investment.