Hotels In Tokyo???

chantheman

so im planning a trip to japan. I have a friend living in Kyoto so i have a place to stay there, but im planning to go to Tokyo also and know nothing about hotels. im looking for some reasonable rates, location and cleanliness.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Chan, there are probably close to 10,000 threads on hotels in Tokyo. I would advise you do a search. Not to be a wanker or anything, but it honestly blows my mind that people think shit like this hasn't been discussed before on this board.

Tokyu Stay in Shibuya offers a great location and great prices.

http://www.tokyustay.co.jp/e/hotel/SIB/index.html

If you're looking to stay in a hostel, I would strongly recommend Guess T House.

http://tokyohostel.com/english.html

actually i did a search for tokyo and read a lot of the posts, but a lot of them dealt with shopping, eating, other cities within tokyo, what to do in japan, what areas are safe/safer. dont get me wriong all of those posts were helpful also but i didnt find anything that really answered my question.

thanks for the links

In any hotel-related post, it is always extremely helpful for you to post your per night budget.

Everywhere in Tokyo is safe, and as long as you aren't out in Ueno, for instance everywhere you'd want to be is only a short subway ride away.

Here are several threads that will help you:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/archive/index.php/t-458.html

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=7345

You can also use this page, which is the official Tokyo Supermap Hotel page:

http://superfuture.com/city/hotels/hotels_to.cfm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

thanks for everyones input.

the trip is about a month away and we just need a hotel in tokyo for 3 nights. (the other 7 we will be staying with a friend in Kyoto)

here is a list that we have complied and i was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of the following hotels. I see the Cerulean is listed and a comment was made a couple posts up about that.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

1. Akasaka Area

Grand Hyatt Hotel Roppongi area

ANA Hotel Akasaka/Roppongi area (5 min walk from JSM)

Capitol Tokyu Hotel Akasaka (2 min walk from JSM)

Hotel New Otani Akasaka (15 min walk from JSM/1 subway stop)

Akasaka Prince Akasaka ( “ )

Akasaka Excel Tokyu Akasaka ( “ )

2. Shiba Area

Hotel Okura Just behind ANA Hotel 10 min walk from JSM

Tokyo Prince near Tokyo Tower

Shiba Park same area

Celestine Hotel new ??

3. Shinagawa Area

Hotel Laforet not convenient w/o car

Shinagawa Prince very small rooms (across from Shinagawa Station)

Takanawa Prince (up the hill behind Meridien; 10 min walk to station)

New Takanawa Prince ( “ )

Le Meridien (across from Shinagawa Station)

Westin Hotel Ebisu

4. Shibuya Area

Cerulean Tower Tokyu 10 min to Shibuya Station

Shibuya Excel Tokyu new ??

5. Ginza Area

Palace Hotel old, across from Imperial Palace

Imperial Hotel very expensive

Dai-Ichi Hotel

Renaissance Hotel

Park Hotel new, 10 min walk to Shimbashi Station

Royal Park Hotel new, 10 min walk to Shimbashi Station

thanks for everyones input.

1. Akasaka Area

Grand Hyatt Hotel Roppongi area

ANA Hotel Akasaka/Roppongi area (5 min walk from JSM)

Capitol Tokyu Hotel Akasaka (2 min walk from JSM)

Hotel New Otani Akasaka (15 min walk from JSM/1 subway stop)

Akasaka Prince Akasaka ( “ )

Akasaka Excel Tokyu Akasaka ( “ )

2. Shiba Area

Hotel Okura Just behind ANA Hotel 10 min walk from JSM

Tokyo Prince near Tokyo Tower

Shiba Park same area

Celestine Hotel new ??

3. Shinagawa Area

Hotel Laforet not convenient w/o car

Shinagawa Prince very small rooms (across from Shinagawa Station)

Takanawa Prince (up the hill behind Meridien; 10 min walk to station)

New Takanawa Prince ( “ )

Le Meridien (across from Shinagawa Station)

Westin Hotel Ebisu

4. Shibuya Area

Cerulean Tower Tokyu 10 min to Shibuya Station

Shibuya Excel Tokyu new ??

5. Ginza Area

Palace Hotel old, across from Imperial Palace

Imperial Hotel very expensive

Dai-Ichi Hotel

Renaissance Hotel

Park Hotel new, 10 min walk to Shimbashi Station

Royal Park Hotel new, 10 min walk to Shimbashi Station

I used to live in Tokyo, so here's my advice:

As it seems you're not looking for a budget hotel, the key question is what sort of holiday you're looking for. I assume you're a young guy looking for somewhere to go drinking etc. with people around your age.

I would stay away from Ginza at night. It's full of rich drunk salarymen and housewives at night. Shinagawa and the area around Tokyo Tower likewise aren't the most fun at night.

I used to work in Akasaka... there are some some nice bars around there and a lot of young professionals at night. It's also close to Roppongi, if that's your cup of tea.

Shibuya is close to a lot of the popular entertainment districts - Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku. So if you're out past the time the last trains run (about 12:30), it won't cost you loads to take a taxi.

Hope this helps

drinking/seeing the sights, maybe clubbin is what were planning to do while in Japan at night

im going in june (20th -24th in Tokyo to be exact then Kyoto for a week)

any idea of places to stay in Kyoto? My friends and I were going to crash at another friends place that teaching in Japan, but it seems that her extra room isnt as big as she thought (she has a guest now and its feeling cramped) so we might need to find a hotel in Kyoto.

Don't stay around JR Kyoto Station... it's pretty dull.

There are tons of university students in Kyoto, so I'd head to the bars where they are - it'll be livelier.

There is well-marked public transportation to all of the tourist hot-spots in Kyoto - mostly buses. But the city centre is quite small and traffic during rush-hours can be horrendous, so it can be quite annoying being stuck on a bus while people are walking faster!

My recommendation is to rent bicycles (tons available) and ride around the city. There are loads of cyclists in Kyoto because it is one of the most convenient ways to get around.

If you're in Kyoto, I'd also recommend going to Osaka. It's REALLY close - 30 minutes, and it only costs around 500 yen (£2.50 or $5) to take one of the many trains going from JR Kyoto Station.

thanks for the information. i will relay this to my friends. im sure that friend that lives in kyoto will help us too, but its a good idea to have a overview plan before getting there so we can plan accordingly.

im getting a 7 railpass so i can go to hiroshima. any other places/cities that might be interesting to go to. asahi factory?

1) What are you planning to do in Hiroshima? sight seeing? Then, Itsukushima Jinja is awesome. Genbaku dome is hella depressing so I'd stay away. You can some decent food like okonomiyaki in hiroshima. If the timing is right, you can head over to shimonoseki and get some blowfish.

2) where the heck did you pull out the list of hotels?

it seems like you are just looking at hotels of ranging quality.

excel tokyu, for instance, is considered budget / mid class hotel.

however, hotel okura is a total baller / status hotel.

what is that you are looking for?

akasaka excel tokyu is one of my favorite hotels in tokyo.

i've stayed at ANA @ tameike sannou and it's fairly decent.

kinda expensive though.

In Kyoto check out World and Metro clubs. I studied in Kyoto university for half a year and I can say its mostly an academic/college type city. Everyone gets around by bike and the actual subway system is kinda inconveinent.

In Hiroshima, check out "Chinatown". Its an old Chinese restaraunt that's been renovated into a hip-hop club. I'd also recommend checking out/staying on Miyajima in a ryokan and walking to the Tori at night. If its low tide, you can walk right up to the Tori and stick coins into the wood. Really beautiful...

jp_miyajima_tori_300x200.jpg

sight see in hiroshima. we might just stay a day there and just make it a day trip and not stay the night.

i got the list of hotels in Tokyo from a friends parent. I think the list is a list of hotels that a limo bus stops at on their route.

thanks for all the help.

1) What are you planning to do in Hiroshima? sight seeing? Then, Itsukushima Jinja is awesome. Genbaku dome is hella depressing so I'd stay away. You can some decent food like okonomiyaki in hiroshima. If the timing is right, you can head over to shimonoseki and get some blowfish.

2) where the heck did you pull out the list of hotels?

it seems like you are just looking at hotels of ranging quality.

excel tokyu, for instance, is considered budget / mid class hotel.

however, hotel okura is a total baller / status hotel.

what is that you are looking for?

akasaka excel tokyu is one of my favorite hotels in tokyo.

i've stayed at ANA @ tameike sannou and it's fairly decent.

kinda expensive though.

it looks like since were flying out of osaka were going to book a room for the night before in Osaka. any suggestions?

I've stayed at the Swissotel in Namba once... quite nice. The other times I stayed in love hotels, but they won't let a bunch of blokes stay together, so you might want to stick to "normal" hotels.

Hey, I just returned from a two week trip to Japan with my girlfriend, absolutely loved it. We managed to score some pretty decent hotel deals in Tokyo. We stayed at the Fukudaya (walking distance to Shibuya station), an OK hotel that cost us 11,000 yen a night. Great location though.

The second hotel we stayed at was the Granbell Akasaka. Excellent hotel, found it in the SUFU guide. Thanks Sufu. Room with a great view cost us 20,000 yen a night.