Grindhouse

JimJones86

Personally i thought it was the best movie this year. Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

havent seen it yet. i heard tarantino's "death proof" was by far the better movie though. i really want to see rob zombie's "trailer" for "nazi werewolf chicks of the SS " or whatever.

i was very surprised with how much fun i had at this film(s). I would actually say that tarantino's film really dragged on in the typical tarantino coffee shop conversation moments - but the action scenes made my heart pump faster than rodriguez and it had a great ending.

the entire thing is brilliant. if you have an excited theatre audience it makes it even more fun with clapping and hollaring. also all the moc-previews were hillarious.

A+

I saw it last night and I also liked it. In themselves, the movies may not have been the most fanatastic stories ever, but their combination together was refreshing. Since I'm only 22, I've never done the whole "double feature" thing that they wanted to recreate, so this was great. I loved both the allusions to influential movies (Vanishing Point), as well as previous QT and RR films (foot rubs). The trailers were hilarious, but by far one thing stood out as best:

Tarantino finally did some high quality writing. Not to put down his other stuff too much, but he only seems to have done a really good job writing masculine, hardass/smartass roles (ie himself). I thought he sucked at writing BBs part in Kill Bill or any time the Bride got a little soft. In Death Proof, I found that his writing was pretty much dead on.

I actually liked Planet Terror more I think. Quite impressed w/ Rose McGowan

I thought it was pretty good, I most likely would have paid to see ech movie individually, but am most looking for the B-movie "machete" my favorite trailor.. haha the most disturbing part for me was the commercial for "thanksgiving" where the cheerleader on the trampoline lands in the splits.. haha pretty wild imaginations but definatly worth seeing.

Overall Grade: A-

"Planet Terror" is one of the best zombie movies i have ever seen imo, even if it does constantly go cliche and make fun of itself in some ways. The deaths in the movie are too amazing - absolutely absurd. "Death Proof" was unreal in terms of its action and cinematography, such a well done story. Its very Tarrantino in terms of conversation, but luckily it doesnt drag the story down too much. I like how it focused on one event instead of the "Pulp Fiction" multi-narrative that goes back and forth in time. The crowd really does make it too. I saw mine at a matinee with like 20 people and it still was well received - lots of laughing and hollering and shit. I think im going to see again tonight. Those previews were unreal.

A+ I recommend both movies for a good time.

Oh lord I laughed way too hard in both movies.

However, I must admit that I thought Planet Terror was funnier because it was definitely more random and absurd.

For me, Death Proof was only funny because of the black girl in curls (in both scenes, but especially the second). It relied on me laughing at the behavior/speech/body language of a stereotypical black woman.

Overall, it kinda felt like it dragged on, but I don't regret watching it at all.

To be honest though, if Death Proof was an $8 by itself, I would've felt a bit disappointed. But yeah, that shit was really exciting.

I would sincerely like to hear from people who thought that "Death Proof" was the better of the two. Holy god did I not 'appreciate' it. Not because it lacked in continual violence (which Planet Terror was full of, of course), but because it spent an INSANELY large amount of time "developing" characters that had no need to be developed. I mean seriously; a fucking 15 minute coffee table conversation? How about the first set of girls? You basically learn their entire life's story for absolutely no reason..........

Anyway, overall a fantastic film, and don't get me wrong, I liked "Death Proof," it was somewhat refreshing. But how anyone can think it was better than "Planet Terror" boggles the mind.............

There was a massive amount of character build up so you would feel a connection with the first set of girls and have some kind of feelings when they die. That way, when theres a huge amount of character build up for the second set of girls and they are put in a situation where you're not sure if they are going to live or die you actually want them to live because you invested so much time in the first set of girls, and you dont want the same thing to happen. Tarantino knows what he is doing...

I would sincerely like to hear from people who thought that "Death Proof" was the better of the two. Holy god did I not 'appreciate' it. Not because it lacked in continual violence (which Planet Terror was full of, of course), but because it spent an INSANELY large amount of time "developing" characters that had no need to be developed. I mean seriously; a fucking 15 minute coffee table conversation? How about the first set of girls? You basically learn their entire life's story for absolutely no reason..........

Anyway, overall a fantastic film, and don't get me wrong, I liked "Death Proof," it was somewhat refreshing. But how anyone can think it was better than "Planet Terror" boggles the mind.............

I agree with england on this one. for a good portion of death proof i didn't know where the movie was going-- I think that was somewhat the point though, to mirror some shitty b-movies that have inconsistent plot development only to throw the story in a different direction. It's like the movie's plot was written while they were filming. i definitely enjoyed rr's flick more.

There was a massive amount of character build up so you would feel a connection with the first set of girls and have some kind of feelings when they die. That way, when theres a huge amount of character build up for the second set of girls and they are put in a situation where you're not sure if they are going to live or die you actually want them to live because you invested so much time in the first set of girls, and you dont want the same thing to happen. Tarantino knows what he is doing...

I understand this. Problem was, neither I or any of the 6 people I went with cared about the girls who died in the slightest. In fact, the whole first half of "Death Proof" was so senseless, that I completely forgot it even happened when the second set of girls were introduced. With the second set of girls, the outrageous overracting of the black chick and the New Zealander made me not care if they died either; so I had no emotional connection (neither hate/dislike or like) and was just waiting for something interesting to happen; when it did happen it wasn't even that interesting/exciting to begin with. Anyway, it seemed like two entirely separate movies within one movie. So there were a couple plot twists......you don't know who's going to die and when? And? The whole first movie is filled with this scenario. It doesn't make it "good." There are millions of other factors that make it good, but this isn't a reason to call "Death Proof" a good film.

Point is, you don't need to spend 45minutes "developing" a character for an audience to be able to relate to whether they like/dislike/care about them. A good scriptwriter can make you feel a strong connection with a character in less than 5 minutes.

Lastly, they could have at the very least played "Death Proof" first. You watch all these insane previews and the gorefest which is "Planet Terror" and then you're winded down to an INSANELY slow moving 'car' movie.......um? Bottom line is, if "Death Proof" was a single feature, released on its own and you paid to watch it, there is no way in hell you would recommend it to anyone.

planet terror was definitely the more fun of the two for my friends and i. death proof just seriously had way too much dialogue. those girls just would not stop talking. i've always been an admirer of tarantino's "superbad" dialogue, but i seriously was just thinking that it was just too much in death proof. i was growing highly impatient with all the constant bickering the girls did.

OH AND. i think we all wanted to know why the hell fergie was in this one.

I understand this. Problem was, neither I or any of the 6 people I went with cared about the girls who died in the slightest. In fact, the whole first half of "Death Proof" was so senseless, that I completely forgot it even happened when the second set of girls were introduced. With the second set of girls, the outrageous overracting of the black chick and the New Zealander made me not care if they died either; so I had no emotional connection (neither hate/dislike or like) and was just waiting for something interesting to happen; when it did happen it wasn't even that interesting/exciting to begin with. Anyway, it seemed like two entirely separate movies within one movie. So there were a couple plot twists......you don't know who's going to die and when? And? The whole first movie is filled with this scenario. It doesn't make it "good." There are millions of other factors that make it good, but this isn't a reason to call "Death Proof" a good film.

Point is, you don't need to spend 45minutes "developing" a character for an audience to be able to relate to whether they like/dislike/care about them. A good scriptwriter can make you feel a strong connection with a character in less than 5 minutes.

Lastly, they could have at the very least played "Death Proof" first. You watch all these insane previews and the gorefest which is "Planet Terror" and then you're winded down to an INSANELY slow moving 'car' movie.......um? Bottom line is, if "Death Proof" was a single feature, released on its own and you paid to watch it, there is no way in hell you would recommend it to anyone.

Im sorry you read so much into what was meant to be a B movie. I can understand where you're coming from though...

Im sorry you read so much into what was meant to be a B movie. I can understand where you're coming from though....

This was exactly the reason that I didn't like it, because I was SUPPOSED to read into it. :D

I was expecting an over-the-top exploitation film, but instead, I got an attempt at a pseudo-intellectual narrative that comprised of 1 hr of absurdly dull and irrelevant 'character development' with zero action/intensity and 15 minutes of a car chase.........after seeing "Planet Terror" the last thing I was expecting was to have to figure out why the hell these girls would not stop talking! The whole time I was watching it I kept thinking: "Where's Machete and the Thanksgiving killer when you need them!!!" he heh.

Anyway, nothing personal towards you..........just wanted to vent in general. :o

Yeah I'm a bit torn on the coffe table chats that went on for a large portion of the movie. I didn't enjoy watching them while they were going on, but after seeing the whole movie come together at the end, it's pretty clever. Tarantino not only establishes the characters so you actually care what happens to them, but it also makes the intense action scenes more enjoyable and amplifies their intensity.

I definitely see what he's going for, although I don't know if that's neccesarily the best way to make an action film.

I loved everything about Grindhouse though. It was just amazing.

gotta admit.. i liked tarantino's death trapped more. a lot of my friends thought that planet terror was better. i liked planet terror for the hotness of the chicks in all the scenes but the plot for it was pretty simple and predictable. yet that's how rodriguez wanted it i guess. death proof was just plain crazy the last 20 minutes alone where worth the whole 3 sum odd hours of sitting. shit was gonzo. highly recommended.

Guest jmatsu

i just watched this last night. i enjoyed planet terror and all of the movie commercials. i did not like deathproof. way too many self indulgent and boring rants.

gotta admit.. i liked tarantino's death trapped more. a lot of my friends thought that planet terror was better. i liked planet terror for the hotness of the chicks in all the scenes but the plot for it was pretty simple and predictable. yet that's how rodriguez wanted it i guess. death proof was just plain crazy the last 20 minutes alone where worth the whole 3 sum odd hours of sitting. shit was gonzo. highly recommended.
i just watched this last night. i enjoyed planet terror and all of the movie commercials. i did not like deathproof. way too many self indulgent and boring rants.

But did you like "Death Trapped" ????!?!?!???

Guest jmatsu
But did you like "Death Trapped" ????!?!?!???

shiiittt, i guess i might of fell asleep. i missed "death trapped." was death trapped better than death proof???

shiiittt, i guess i might of fell asleep. i missed "death trapped." was death trapped better than death proof???

It was the greatest film ever made......ever. Does that answer your question?

It was about a Samurai-run ramen shop in Poland during the Holocaust.

Guest jmatsu
It was the greatest film ever made......ever. Does that answer your question?

It was about a Samurai-run ramen shop in Poland during the Holocaust.

i think i heard about this one. it was rolled 6.5 minutes after the credits, right? i didn't stay for it.

did you really see it, or are you just recapping some bullshit review from some random geek? i could fathom a ramen shop in poland during the holocaust (what'd they do? throw in some noodles into a potato-stocked soup?), but even if real samurai did still exist at the time, they wouldn't have ran a ramen shop (obviously because of the medieval japanese caste system).

i think i heard about this one. it was rolled 6.5 minutes after the credits, right? i didn't stay for it.

did you really see it, or are you just recapping some bullshit review from some random geek? i could fathom a ramen shop in poland during the holocaust (what'd they do? throw in some noodles into a potato-stocked soup?), but even if real samurai did still exist at the time, they wouldn't have ran a ramen shop (obviously because of the medieval japanese caste system).

Dude, it's TARANTINO, it doesn't have to be logical. But actually, I heard it is based on a true story. Apparently, it was the greatest ramen in all the land. Made of many secret ingredients (one of which, was rumoured to be the bones of Issei Sagawa, infamous cannibal and true creator of the first Bape shirt.......who actually isn't even dead yet!!?!??!), the samurai must protect their shop and secret recipe from the hands of "The Jew" as played by Crispin Glover.

Guest jmatsu

Issei Sagawa, infamous cannibal and true shirt.......who actually isn't even .

serious question: is this the guy who killed some girl in europe, ate her, was deported back to japan, and is now on various talk shows??