Messenger bag or Backpack?

I rotate between a HeadPorter Briefcase, HeadPorter messenger, Fred Perry Sling, a small crumpler messenger and an Eastpak backpack. All the bags (cept for the hp messenger) can hold a laptop, which is pretty necessary for me cause I carry a laptop to school everyday.

I have an Ogio Metro backpack that is great for carrying my 15" Macbook and all the stuff that goes with it everyday, and I only paid about $50 brand new on eBay. I used to carry a messenger bag but it was just too uncomfortable with the weight of the comp, power supply, etc. Plus things tended to get a lot more banged up in a mess bag than they do on my back.

Are you sprinting from place to place?

I prefer messanger bags most of the time when i'm walking to and around campus. With most backpacks i feel a bit too childish, especially that eyesore i had before. I just have a simple military surplus bag.

http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Shelf/ASP/Hierarchy/030I/showall/60.html

I have the black vintage paratrooper bag. It has worked out well for me and was really cheap. I bought it at a military store for $20 and it has held up well. I sometimes carry a pretty heavy load of books and stuff and it hasn't shown signs of breaking.