NYC getaway for one night

digital_denim

Hotel:

http://www.hotelonrivington.com/

Dinner:

http://www.inotecanyc.com/

^ i like this place alot. its not the most quiet place, but the food is really good, they have a decent wine selection and the service is helpful when you have questions. plus its really close to the hotel rivington.

alternatively in the same area I like

http://www.kumainn.com/

Its alot smaller than inoteca, kinda hidden away, more intimate. the food i like alot. its kinda fusiony, but filipino food takes precendence..i think. prices are decent here also.

When is your gf's Bday? You can go watch a Broadway Show. Wicked, Beauty and the Beast, Phantom of the Opera, and the Lion King is really good...

usually wednesdays and saturdays have early shows... if not, then its @ 8pm.... which is hard to go have a nice dinner since most restaurants you bring a girl to would be closing...

Hotel - St Regis or the W Hotel

Dinner - Tavern on the Green, One if by Land Two if by Sea

Dessert - Chickalious or Serendipity III

Budget?

Huge 2nd Hotel on Rivington. Farking nice. I am thinking to rent a suite and throw my wife's Bday party there.

For a restaurant, I can recommend L'Ecole (that is if you still have a few weeks ahead of you, book now!). It's a part of French Culinary Institute in Soho - the chefs there really put out, because they are judged on performance, and it's an incredible bargain for the kind of food you get. The waiters are super-professional - it's a great experience. If you want something more down to earth and relaxed, I can recommend Jean-Claude or Cafe du Jardin, both excellent and not too hard on the wallet. Blue Ribbon Bakery (not to be confused with Blue Ribbon, where you'll wait 2 hours to be seated) is another choice. A little pricey (unless you get a burger), but well worth it. See if they can sit you downstairs withe exposed brick walls an a fire place.

My last advice: DO NOT go to midtown or meatpacking district at night on that day if you want to keep the evening romantic.

st. regis hotel=gorgeous.

my mom is a travel agent and booked a couple there last week and apparently the service is as amazing as the atmosphere.

smith & wollensky is a greatttttttt steakhouse, and they also offer a fantastic lobster tail (says my dad). its excelllent

and even if you dont go on the night of her birthday, highly reccomend a stop at Ferrara's, downtown on grand st @ mulberry st. its an extreeeeeemly famous italian pasty shop, been there since like 1920 or something ridiculus, the desserts there are beyond amazing...

edit: 100th post! :)

absolutely not. i'm not a tourist and if im even close to downtown i go there.

even if you think its overrated you can't argue the quality of the food

the quality has declined as prices have increased... less than stellar service, insanely long wait time... (10-15 mins wait to order something to takeout??!?!)

Super bright lighting... you cant go inside without sunglasses... down the lights please, its hurting my eyes!

the coffee is so-so about the same as a cup of coffee @ the chinese bakeries down the block... but 3X the price..

Cannoli? its pretty good, a bit on the expensive side though, Tiramisu was good, nothing to die for, Biscotti? it was soft... since when are they soft???

absolutely not. i'm not a tourist and if im even close to downtown i go there.

even if you think its overrated you can't argue the quality of the food

Absolutely Yes. You might have as well recommended Tavern on the Green for dinner (pukes).

omg. maybe i'm the only italian in this thread. overall the quality of the amoutn of pastries they have is delicious..not backing down on that one..i dont think i've waited more than ten minutes for takeout..i go late though

serendipity sucks. 4 hours for a fucking hot chocolate

I would disagree even on the quality of the pastries. I'm not saying they are horrible, but just average. Veniero's is much better even with all the tourists in line.

I just don't see how you can include Farrara's on the list for nice atmosphere. The cannolis are ok if you want to pick some up and eat them at your place, coffee is also average. The lights are so bright I can see a mustache on every "italian" girl that goes there all the way from jersey.

I would disagree even on the quality of the pastries. I'm not saying they are horrible, but just average. Veniero's is much better even with all the tourists in line.

I just don't see how you can include Farrara's on the list for nice atmosphere. The cannolis are ok if you want to pick some up and eat them at your place, coffee is also average. The lights are so bright I can see a mustache on every "italian" girl that goes there all the way from jersey.

i've never sat down there. i just take out. i enjoy it a lottttttttttttt.

lol @ mustaches on jersey girls

as for venieros...they have a mean cheesecake & good biscotti but i def like cannolis and all that shit better at ferrrara.

I'm not sure why someone recommended Morimoto for some place romantic, if you want romantic go to Erminia. The food is incredible, and the area dark, discreet, super romantic. Upper East Side though, which is a trek from Hotel on Rivington, but the cab shouldn't be more than $15.

I'm not sure why someone recommended Morimoto for some place romantic, if you want romantic go to Erminia. The food is incredible, and the area dark, discreet, super romantic. Upper East Side though, which is a trek from Hotel on Rivington, but the cab shouldn't be more than $15.

PM me if you need a hookup for Hotel On Rivington

my friend designed The Hotel on Rivington, so i'm obviously gonna reiterate that hotel is a great spot, and also a decent value i feel (in relation to similar level hotels, like soho/tribeca grand, the hudson, etc.) however, if you want the best hotel downtown, IMO, that would be The Mercer. It's amazing and the hotel restaurant is a Jean George restaurant (Mercer Kitchen). plus it's right in soho.

with THOR you have the lower east side, which is great too. no need to venture out of that neighborhood for dinner, either, just book a table at WD-50 on Clinton btwn. stanton and rivington, and eat one of the best/most interesting meals in new york. and for lunch hit up the cuban spot at rivington and clinton (not the best cuban in the city, but probably the best without leaving the developed downtown neighborhoods).