washing a spray painted jacket?

chadler

i don't know if it varies brand to brand, but when i spray painted on a tshirt i had no problems throwing it in the washing machine. if you decide to -- just to be safe, try turning it inside out and wash it on its own, or with towels or something you don't care about.

• 2 months later...

A little over a year ago I found my dad’s really old jean jacket hanging in the closet. It was too short at the waist and loose in the arms and mid section. it also had this thick lining and a regular jean jacket collar. I took out the lining, shortened the collar, extended the length, and fixed up the arms and body. I also added some little details of my own like the 2 straps the left shoulder, the patch on the chest, the design and 4 patches on the back. This was my first time trying to alter something, and it took about 3-4 hours to finish because I didn’t know what I was doing, and at the time my sewing machine only had 2 speeds…fast…and REALLY FAST.

After the alterations were complete I realized I didn’t like the colour of the jacket, which was a really light blue and it had spots of yellow and green in some areas. So I bought some black RIT garment dye, and dyed it black. The dye was only able to get it to a dark grey though. Then I used almost 2 cans of matte spray paint on the entire outside of the jacket. After that I took a small glass bottle and flattened the paint, which took about 3-4 half hour to 45min sessions to complete. Your arm gets pretty sore so you can’t do it in one session. Now there was still the paint smell, so I hung it outside for a few days, and then soaked it in cold water with a little detergent.

So in total, the jacket took about 8-10 hours to complete.

Originally, this was a jacket that I wouldn’t ever wear, so I wanted to experiment on it and I wasn’t expecting much but it turned out quite well, and it’s going to look even better once I get more you wear into.

That looks badass. Kind of like the Nudie dry black coated wash. I oughta try that next time I find a decent fitting but horribly colored jacket at goodwill.

Reminds me of the Levis x Warhol black waxed denim jacket that my bro picked up for like $300 O_O

By "flattening the paint" do you just mean like a rollingpin sorta thing?

I spray painted a pair of slip ons from walmart and it's all cracked. Looks kinda cool but I'd prefer the smooth look.