It's time to wash... but I'm using the dorm washers

blank

it's time to wash my RRDS, but I need help. i couldn't find any dorm-specific information in the encyclopedia or searches

Sooo... I live in a college dorm

My washing machine has these settings:

HOT -- WARM -- COLD

and

PERMANENT PRESS -- DELICATE -- NORMAL

I am leaning toward "normal" and "warm" because if the inseam shrinks a little, that's fine since I am going to hem them and eliminate the cuff. They have some nice wear so I think a warm wash will do them well

But the washing machine LOCKS during the cycle. I can use a washer with a 17 or 35 minute cycle, but nothing else.

And each machine uses a spin cycle. What does the spin cycle do to the jeans? I'm not afraid to throw them in and beat the shit out of them, that's what it's for, after all, but I don't want to do something that will look fucked up

i don't think nudies shrink much, if anything just back to original size from stretching. Depending on how long you've been wearing them, you may want to just use HOT to get max contrast. I might use delicate since it's just one pair of jeans and it will help avoid indigo loss i think.

just wash them in the shower with a bit of shampoo

i wouldn't throw em in dorm washers

i'd use the delicate cycle if you must

spin cycle fucked up my raw denim jacket; imagine creasing your jeans randomly (say by crumpling them up) and then sandpapering the creases-----an extreme example, but there you are.

better yet, hold off the wash until the next time you are home

i washed my samurai's in the washer using hot/hot on the lowest spin setting.then swiched over to warm/cold 20 mins later. Then threw them in the dryer just until they were lightly damp and wore them. they didnt mess up my denim.

They had a number of previous hot soakes in the past before this. Dont know if that made a diference in them but they didnt turn out bad. Since this washing machine wash i have given it 2 super hot soaks.

That doesn't really sound any different than any other washer to me. If you're worried about the washer damaging them, make sure there's other clothes in there with them. I've washed my Nudies and Kicking Mules in a washing machine plenty of times with no ill effects. Delicate cycle, and I've tried different temperatures.

inside out, cold water, natural detergent, line dry. any washer should be fine. you usually get those creases ddml was talking about when you don't turn your denim (jacket, pants, coverall, etc..) inside out and when it goes around in the tub the abrasion causes the indigo to crock where the denim has creased in the washer cylinder. really it should be fine.