Pan's Labyrinth

nairb49

I wish I understood spanish, I hate losing out via subtitles. Nonetheless, an excellent movie.

I agree, I saw it last week and it was awesome, it Looked amazing but I was distracted with the story line and reading every line of the subtitles. Would have enjoyed it more had I known Spanish. Those 2 years in highschool have done me no good.

Saw it last night with my girlfriend and another couple. We all thought it was really good. Great costumes, especially the fascist uniforms. And the ending is something that could never come out of a Hollywood studio.

Highly recommended!

What?!?! What are you all tlaking about?!?!?

I saw it last night, and totally NOT what I expected from the previews. Too much Fascist crap, not enough Pan's labrinth.. Yeah costume's were cool, pretty bloody for no reason - at points, but what about the magic... the labrinth.. and the story behind that...

what's up with the dude with the eyes in his hands?? !!! More lord of the rings less searching for private ryan.

wow, that was something.

I was thinking of how to describe it, and as cheesy as it sounds, I think "wonderful" would be a good word in this case.

I wish I understood spanish, I hate losing out via subtitles. Nonetheless, an excellent movie.

yeah wonderful is a good one. beautiful works too. i loved it. for once i think the fact that it was in a foreign language helped. sometimes fantastical exposition can sound silly and forced in english but in spanish it just added to the feeling of otherworldy-ness.

and to anyone that didnt get the connection between the fauns world and the real world needs to look deeper.

From what spanish I understood, you didn't lose too much from the subtitles, Nairb, don't worry. I'm certainly not fluent, and I had to read the subtitles for some of it, but most of the phrasing was pretty straightforward.

Although I suppose it's the subleties that matter most, and I can hardly imagine that I managed to pick up those.

it's a great film in my opinion. as for "bloody for no reason," there certainly is a reason. this film is dead on in terms of keeping true to the old fairytale tradition. the early Grimm's and others were gorey as hell. in Cinderella, one of the stepsisters cuts off her toes and the other cuts off her heel to fit into the glass slipper. and I'm pretty sure Cinderella is also the one in which the stepmother is forced to dance in red hot iron shoes until she dies. I think that mixture of fantasy and extreme and unpleasant reality makes the story that much stronger, and shows you why the world of the labyrinth exists in the first place. loved the movie, i'm going to see it again soon.

I ended up seeing in twice, cause I wanted my girl to see it.... Great movie, most def recommend it.

Loved it. Would like to hear the parallels you were talking about between the fawn's world and the real world. I thought, even though the labyrint world was kinda scary-ish, that was the girl trying to create this world for herseld and didn't see the parallels (or maybe I did, but I lost it).

...pretty bloody for no reason - at points ...

I was reading in the current issue of Flaunt ? I think it was that Del Toro grew up in Mexico during their civil way and worked at an Insane asylum and was around lots of crazy shit... people being shot, knifed, buried alive etc. and he was saying something to the effect of : " People sometimes ask me if my movies have a mexican point of view? and I think that in that sense, they do" or something like that. Anyways it was a good article and a great movie... it just LOOKED amazing, if you didn't enjoy the story/plot you have to appreciate the way it was shot.