Altering selvedge denim

asleepfordays

I just picked up my first two pair of selvedge (APC Hipsters and Skull 5508XX 6X6).

I like my jeans pretty tight and while both of these fit well in the waist and seat, the thigh isn't as tight as I like, especially taking into account how they will stretch. I haven't washed either pair yet. I don't know if I should have them altered & hemmed before or after their first wash? Also, does chainstitching make THAT much of a difference? I've had plenty of good quality jeans altered w/out it and never experienced any problems, but none of those were ever this raw or selvedge. Any advice?

To save yourself angry responses in the future, read the encyclopedia. If that doesn't help, take small questions like this to the small questions thread. That said, your answers are:

1) Soak/shrink prior to making alterations. Once you've got the shrinking out of the way (or a good amount of it), then you'll know how much more you have to take off.

2) Chainstiching is very important to a lot of board members for several different reasons (flexibility, heritage, looks). Since none of these seem too important to you, you might as well get a regular hem. Nobody (outside of SF) will notice the difference.