Bora Bora / French Polynesia

englandmj7

my aunt just came back from there and we talked a lot about it at chrismass (i've always wanted to visit). anyway, what came down is how beautifull it is, my aunt is one of the most well-traveled person i know and she said the islands were definitely in her top 3. there's intense regulation from the french government on the number of tourist allowed to come to preserse ecosystem, etc so it's not crowded or anything. the downside of this is that it's probably the most expensive destination on earth. sleeping in a hut can cost you 50$, average price for a night accomodation runs at about 500-600$. i could ask her more about where she stayed and how much she paid if you are interested. anyway, her advice to the familly was: the place is really wonderfull, but only go if you can afford it.

That would be cool if you had a chance to; I would love to know some more about her experience.

I have actually found overwater bungalows at some of the older resorts for around $300-400 a night. I am curious, however to know how much other leisurely activities cost: massages, tours, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the chance to visit both Papeete and Bora Bora and I will say it is one of my favorite places on earth. The scenery is beautiful, the people are extremely nice, the food is great and not overly expensive (well, most of the time), and the water is 80+. Depending upon where you stay it will vary on cost of activities. We went on a jeep safari (about $35 per person), scuba diving (my cousin and I got certified there and went 4 days; scuba with sharks and manta rays, it was killer; around $100+), stingray petting ($30 or so), jet skiing around the island ($55-65), and massages I don't know about because I didn't partake.

The hotels usually aren't too packed as stated above because there aren't mass amounts of rooms on the islands.

Plane tickets are usually $1200 and 3-400 for a over water bungalow is a good deal. When we went we stayed in the garden bungalows and they were $250 each (we got 2).

I would definitely recommend going if you can as it will change you forever. I am trying to save enough money to go back right now.

I've had the chance to visit both Papeete and Bora Bora and I will say it is one of my favorite places on earth. The scenery is beautiful, the people are extremely nice, the food is great and not overly expensive (well, most of the time), and the water is 80+. Depending upon where you stay it will vary on cost of activities. We went on a jeep safari (about $35 per person), scuba diving (my cousin and I got certified there and went 4 days; scuba with sharks and manta rays, it was killer; around $100+), stingray petting ($30 or so), jet skiing around the island ($55-65), and massages I don't know about because I didn't partake.

The hotels usually aren't too packed as stated above because there aren't mass amounts of rooms on the islands.

Plane tickets are usually $1200 and 3-400 for a over water bungalow is a good deal. When we went we stayed in the garden bungalows and they were $250 each (we got 2).

I would definitely recommend going if you can as it will change you forever. I am trying to save enough money to go back right now.

That's awesome advice. Thanks man.

lol. Even the Long Beach aquarium here in Cali is $26 to get in! I think attractions in general are becoming more expensive.

England-One thing to consider; Buying a package deal through travel agencies or airlines. Sometimes you can find package deals for airfare and hotel for around $1000-1700.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...