return me to the promise land!

Rockn

So, I washed my first pair of raw jeans (nudie rrdg) after 6 months of what I considered hard wear and was very disappointed with the results. I am starting to have second thoughts about this raw thing and need you guys to get me back on the path.

After the wash, the jeans dropped like 5 inches in the waist and about 3 inches in length and they look to small on me now, to the point where I don't like the way they look on me.

So, now I dont know what to do. Keep wearing the small nudies? or just switch over to my pbj blacks as my every day jean, and will I just be disappointed again with the results of those?

sorry for the rant, just sort of bummed...

i don't understand how you could be dissapointed post wash. Did they not fade as much as you expected? the indigo doesn't just come off in water, it comes off as you wear it, meaning you have a pretty good indicator of what they'll look like before you throw them in the washer. Also, i have greycasts and i haven't noticed shrinkage at all, if anything they shrink back to tagged size and the length hasn't changed much at all. And that is including use of a dryer! i think we definitely need more info.

yea ddml, thats where I fucked up. I wanted it to be a suprise, so I gave instructions but didnt partake in the washing and drying figuring it would be ok.

I'll just keep wearing it and hope for the best. Sometimes I let my impatiant nature get the best of me.

for this reason, I'm a big fan of companies who sell jeans in the one wash state...which tend to be Japanese companies. I've been buying raw jeans since...well, since the time when you had little choice but to be raw jeans. in all my years of experience, I still haven't figured out how to predict shrinkage and stretch factors. got a pair of rrl's that bought a little big and wore raw religiously for six months only to wash them and found that they didn't shrink nearly as much as I thought they would...haven't really worn them since. now, I've been breaking in a pair of '47 LVC's that I'm afraid to wash. disappointed? welcome to the club...now you too can obsess over fits and vinegar and salt washes and starch and scotch brite and smearing french fry grease, etc etc etc etc

yeah... but nudies are sanforized and the shrinkage should be negligible in both the waist and inseam.

Not universally, I remember a dude on mynudies.com who posted pics of his SSDS Svenska after a wash and explained he had to undo the cuff post wash because they shrank so much. The pic he posted showed he wasn't exaggerating. But for the most part you're right I think.

Not universally, I remember a dude on mynudies.com who posted pics of his SSDS Svenska after a wash and explained he had to undo the cuff post wash because they shrank so much. The pic he posted showed he wasn't exaggerating. But for the most part you're right I think.

Yeah, my RRDS did shrink in the inseam. I guess I could see how it could be a problem if you hemmed them or purchased them at the desired length. If you assume 0.3% shrinkage on sanforized, that's still an inch on a 34 inseam.

yeah, nudies in particular seem to fade so much more after the first wash

I'm not sure what to do now. I've heard this before but now its being confirmed by poly and ddml.

I've worn my RRDS everyday for 3 months and I like how they are right now but I have minimal wear (as expected). I was planning on sticking to the "wait 6 months to wash" idea but now I'm wondering if I should wash them now. They don't smell at all so I would just be washing in hopes of quicker wear, not cleanliness. But like I said I also like how they are now .

I know this is a newbish question and its all personal preference but anyone have any comments/recommendations?

I'm not sure what to do now. I've heard this before but now its being confirmed by poly and ddml.

I've worn my RRDS everyday for 3 months and I like how they are right now but I have minimal wear (as expected). I was planning on sticking to the "wait 6 months to wash" idea but now I'm wondering if I should wash them now. They don't smell at all so I would just be washing in hopes of quicker wear, not cleanliness. But like I said I also like how they are now .

I know this is a newbish question and its all personal preference but anyone have any comments/recommendations?

Not really.

If you want them to look worn you need to wear them. You can wash them until your drain pipes turn blue, they'll look faded, but not worn.

But that's beauty of getting raw jeans. The struggle to make it all work out. I think to let yo' mama wash them first probably was a bit extreme. I would've went for a cold soak and hang dry first. If that didn't shrink enough, then I would've moved on to another soak and dryer. I've cold soaked every one of my raws, some I had to soak again to get maximum shrinkage. I do this so my wear marks don't get displaced. But the most important thing I've learned is that I always hem my raws with an extra 3.5" inseam. Also make sure whoever hems them to offset it a bit so you get the real nice roping effect when they shrink.