APC no longer doing selvedge?

merzbot

i take a 32 in gap jeans and i got a 33 in the apc tight fit, and the apc's are just about an inch bigger. the legs however and seat are very skinny. very tapered and close to the leg all the way down. im hoping that these will stretch out some??

ill put photos of the whole leg inseam. i am no expert on selvaedge, but from other pics on the internet this inseam does not look like the selvedge i have seen.

Edited by merzbot on Apr 14, 2005 at 03:53 PM

IMO they're made from the same selvage denim, but for some reason don't show the outseam. I can see that they're made from double ringspun yarn (the horizontal and vertical lines) and they seem just like my Unisex in terms of weight and density. Correct?

Maybe someone can give a better reason for this.

my gues is, going by the way the outseam looks (these photos do not really display it well. i can put up better ones if anyone wants), is that they took a regular pair of jeans, cut open the outseams and trimmed part of the fabric off to give it a narrower cut, and then just stitched it back up.

Quote:

The outseams definitely look ordinary. Maybe we ought to buy all the selvage APC's before they run out icon_smile_big.gif. Ringring, what's your opinion?

--- Original message by darknworn on Apr 14, 2005 09:16 PM

My opinion is, maybe you guys bought all APC's selvage up. This forum certainly won't have harmed their sales icon_smile_wink.gif

Maybe the lead times were too long to make all their styles in selvage. Or maybe, they decided to go with wide loom denim because it doubles their margins. icon_smile_big.gif

last night i emailed apc and heard back from them this morning, and they say that they may have shipped out the wrong jeans. the person explained that the tight style jeans are selvedge and that the ones they sent me are cure. ah vell. they are sending me the tight selvedge now. i am very happy with the length of the jeans though.

got a pair of the tight jeans as well. Look and feel exactly like my older new standards (that have the train tracks et al) but without the one feature. I bet they are still selvedge (surely this one sign cannot be the only determinant?). given their track record, i would think the same quality is being maintained. If you truly get them tight/ they fit you that way cuz you have a smaller waist - it starts to make sense to cut the outseam off...what little outseam they have is chafing me right now.

the people there are sending you the same jeans again BTW. They thought they mistakenly sent you a pair of the stretch denim tight jeans (also cures) which arent selvedge. THe ones worn in the picture are the ones they are calling selvedge. Thats my take anyways.

best.

• 4 weeks later...

Talked to APC today to make sure before I order my tight jeans. They are *not* selvage. She said that the outseam is tapered in and therefore could not have selvage. Duhh.. can't believe we never thought of this before. They taper on both sides all the way to the bottom, therefore it is impossible to have selvage on them.

I'm thinking about getting them anyway, athough one of my favorite things about selvage jeans is how the seams look on the outside after they've been worn/washed. Ahh.. the trauma...

She said that the outseam is tapered in and therefore could not have selvage.

Well you certainly can taper a leg and keep the selvage as long as the outside leg seam remains straight. Think of an upside down triangle. It tapers to a point and yet the sides are straight lines.

There are a few examples of tapered selvage jeans on the market. (eg Morris, Edwin Greenville, Dry Bones DP-520W..not skinny fit, but taper they do)