Onsen outside of Tokyo

melvynlim

go to gunma..

takawagara is the only one i can remember name of in gunma right now, but it is literally the onsen hot spot of japan, there is loads there.. the most beautiful ones etc.

my girl is from a village there, ill ask her which are good ones.. ill post back later with the info'

a lot of public bath places have signs that say

"no person with tatoos allowed" (assuming yakuza-style-covering-your-back tattoos

my buddies always go to "tokyo onsen monogatari" which is a onsen theme park in daiba (followed by drunken karaoke)

they arent allowed.. its true, but of course you do get the odd bad ass going in with one..

tat's were a mark of the gang member in japan for hundreds of years.. its not suprising really that they dont want them in the springs. but of course recently tats are alot more common there, but i stil know alot of japanese families who would be genuinely very upset if their sons/daughters were to get tattoos..

theyre stil pretty taboo in jp..

• 2 weeks later...

Recommended areas:

Hakone

Nikko

Izu / Ito

All these areas take a couple hours by regular train from Tokyo.

I particularly would recommend Izu's Bousui onsen. I've been there a few times. Izu / Ito is famous for there onsen by the sea. Bousui is very nice and has a private gazebo onsen that overlooks the ocean. Nothing is more romantic than chilling with your girl in a warm private onsen watching the sunrise on a winter morning. TRUST ME.