PRATT

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

Pratt is a OK school. I graduated from there in 98' in Communication Design ( Illustration). If I were to do it all again today, I wouldn't go to Pratt. I think SVA has better proffesors, more courses that interest me; like Visual Effects and the fact that they are working in there field today. Dont get me wrong, I learned how to utilize my talents and of course they do have a couple of great artist to get inspired from, and fashion shows each year at the old Puck building were nice. Pratt had really talented students ( I went to school with people like Jeremy Scott, kadir Nelson, and others who now or were working at spots like Fiberops, Fubu blah, blah, blah). So you do have cats that are talented. It is also located in a very nice neighborhood in brooklyn (Changed a lot since my days at Pratt), but a nice part of Clinton Hills. This is my personal experience with Pratt and I recomend you take a tour of the school and research. Compare it with other schools here in NYC ( I dont know what major your interested in ). See for yourself, and if anything it does help throughout the art world when they know you graduated from a pretty high ranked art school, no matter were you live in the world, Hope that helps.

Pratt is a OK school. I graduated from there in 98' in Communication Design ( Illustration). If I were to do it all again today, I wouldn't go to Pratt. I think SVA has better proffesors, more courses that interest me; like Visual Effects and the fact that they are working in there field today. Dont get me wrong, I learned how to utilize my talents and of course they do have a couple of great artist to get inspired from, and fashion shows each year at the old Puck building were nice. Pratt had really talented students ( I went to school with people like Jeremy Scott, kadir Nelson, and others who now or were working at spots like Fiberops, Fubu blah, blah, blah). So you do have cats that are talented. It is also located in a very nice neighborhood in brooklyn (Changed a lot since my days at Pratt), but a nice part of Clinton Hills. This is my personal experience with Pratt and I recomend you take a tour of the school and research. Compare it with other schools here in NYC ( I dont know what major your interested in ). See for yourself, and if anything it does help throughout the art world when they know you graduated from a pretty high ranked art school, no matter were you live in the world, Hope that helps.

what are you going to school for i think should be the question? pratt has a good rep as far as i can tell. if for clothing design i think fit or parsons is def. the way to go though?

You have to make it through 7th grade first though........

pratt is a good school, but as parsons is my alma mater, i'd have to say them first.

a run down of the city's art colleges, in order of reputation and merits.

1.cooper union (possibly the best art school in the country, nearly impossible to get into)

2.parsons (owned by the heavily endowed new school, they focus on the commercial side of art education. you will learning how to make $100 million, rather than live in a hut and starve. famous alumni : richard avedon, madonna ,bruce weber, donna karen, larry rivers, anna sui, steven miesel) you'll be on 14th and 5th ave in the village, unless you're a fashion design student, then you'll be in times square.

3.pratt (legendary school. 2nd oldest art school in new york city. focus is on the fine arts side of things, but thats changing now i heard. in the middle of brooklyn, which sucks. pratt is next to huge project houses on one side, and the hisidic jews on teh other. funky neighbors, but super sketchy at night.)

4.sva (used to be kicking pratt's butt, but the campus is run down now, from what i heard. you'll be in manhattan on 23rd st.)

5.fit (unless you're going fashion design, i'd avoid this school all together. it's in the center of the fashion wholesale area of manhattan for a reason! famous alumni : marc jacobs, issac mizrahi, zac posen, calvin klein, ralph lauren)

Edited by sepia007 on Apr 5, 2005 at 01:50 AM

Edited by sepia007 on Apr 5, 2005 at 01:53 AM