stiffness

mrpokal

i have a pair of dry denim and im about to wash them and i was wondering what washing and drying method would be good to retain stiffness- i read the sticky posts and i didnt really catch what to do to retain maximum stiffness. so, pretty much i am curious on how to wash the jeans and still have them be really stiff like they are unwashed.

I find this so amusing, the mental image of young men sat at home shaving their selvedge denim, hehehe

"'Hairy' - depending on the denim used, washing may make your jeans appear 'hairy', as water releases fine cotton fibres on the surface of the denim. There's not much you can do about this. If you're really anal, you could shave them off. Otherwise they'll just drop off with wear."

this is well-covered in the stickys...but

the stiffness comes primarily from the starch used on untreated denim fabric...starch is hydro-activated...if this is your first rinse, you will wash some of the starch off but, for the most part, you'll be activating the starch that remains on your jeans and often make your jeans feel even stiffer...just be sure to hang dry (dont use the dryer)..