501XX Washing, wearing, shrinage questions

KindOfBlue

Just picked up a pair of Levi's "501XX Rigid" selvage, shrink-to-fit jeans. Size 35x36. Now, normally I wear a 34x36 or 34x34 in 501s, and can always get away with 34x34 in a more loose fit jean like the 569. I'm wondering how much the 501s will shrink. The tag recommends adding one inch to your normal waist size and 3-4 inches to your normal inseam size. If I truly do need a 38-40 inch inseam are they even available? What if I only wash them in cold and hang dry? Will they still shrink down too much in the inseam? If washing in cold and air dry does not result in shrinkage, should I actually consider exchanging this size for my normal size?

And what about wearing them before the first wash? Don't most people recommend wearing a selvage jean for several weeks or months before the first wash? Do I just have to walk around looking like a slouch who can't find a proper fitting jean until that point?

Any advice welcome. Thanks!

Edited by KindOfBlue on Mar 13, 2005 at 01:58 PM

I'm wondering how much the 501s will shrink

In my experience they shrink about 2" on the waist and 3-4 on the inside leg measurement. ie 8-10% shrinkage overall.

What if I only wash them in cold and hang dry? Will they still shrink down too much in the inseam?

They will shrink less in cold water.

If washing in cold and air dry does not result in shrinkage, should I actually consider exchanging this size for my normal size?

Only if you don't ever intend to wash them in warm water. (eg if you dry clean them only).

And what about wearing them before the first wash? Don't most people recommend wearing a selvage jean for several weeks or months before the first wash?

Yes, wearing them in for extended periods before washing is popular amongst denim-nerds (this one included). However,you can wash and wear them how you like.

Do I just have to walk around looking like a slouch who can't find a proper fitting jean until that point?

No, there is another way...... Just soak them in a bath of warm (40 degree-ish) water for about 30 minutes to shrink them, then hang dry. One-wash jeans will wear as well as 'dry' jeans, but with several added bonuses....the whiskers and knee patches won't shoot up a couple of inches when you do your first wash, they will be more comfortable...and obviously fit a lot better.

Quote: In my experience they shrink about 2" on the waist and 3-4 on the inside leg measurement. ie 8-10% shrinkage overall.

Yikes. So it's pretty much impossible for someone with a 34 or 36 inch inseam to get a pair of Levi's Rigid jeans that will fit after washing?

Thanks for the info!

Quote: Levis make shrink-to-fits in 36 and 38 inch sizes

Hmmm.... where to find these elusive lengths?? I've been searching since yesterday and I can't seem to find an online retailer that carries them. I don't even see those lengths on Levi's website. Are those lengths available in the model I bought (the cheap ones at JC Penny's)? Sorry for asking so many questions, but this is my first pair of this type of jean and I want to get it right.

Well, I decided to risk it and stick with the 35x36 pair (they were only $30 so I didn't really have much to loose). So I turned them inside out and soaked them in cold water for about 30 minutes and then let them hang dry. They shrunk down enough to make them wearable although they're still a bit too baggy in the seat and waist for my liking. Now they ride just below the waist instead of at the waist. But I'll just have to deal with it because any more shrinkage would make them unwearable in length. I plan on wearing them for several months like this and then either always having them dry cleaned, or only washing them in cold water on occasion.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Good to know that I can stretch them out again if need be. Thanks for that tip.

As far as the first wash goes, it's probably important to note that I did not actually wash them. I only soaked them in cold water for a half hour. No detergent, no movement. The soaking did two things to the jeans:

1. change them from the funky iridescent silverish-blue color they had on the shelf to the deep indigo color you think of when you think selvage jeans.

2. shrank them down just a bit. Probably about three-quarters to a full size through the waist, seat, and thigh; and about one-and-three-quarters or two full sizes in length. They were originally tagged as 35x36, now they measure about 34.5x34. I really don't have any room to roll them up.

The jeans are still rigid, rough, and burly.

Quote:
Quote: In my experience they shrink about 2" on the waist and 3-4 on the inside leg measurement. ie 8-10% shrinkage overall.

Yikes. So it's pretty much impossible for someone with a 34 or 36 inch inseam to get a pair of Levi's Rigid jeans that will fit after washing?

Thanks for the info!

--- Original message by KindOfBlue on Mar 13, 2005 02:54 PM

ive got a pair of 501 repros that are a 40 inch length. just have to look around.

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if you were to dampen a new pair with a spray bottle then dry it in an actual dryer would it shrink as good or better than an over night soak and sun dry? Thanks

thanks so much for all the info...im looking for womans selvage jeans. ive grown up hating my mom's gap jeans and envying my dad's 20 year old-perect fit-story for every stain-ripped in all the right places-wallet mark in the pocket levis. so now im trying to find my own/make my own/own every centimeter of my own. all this info is great. any suggestions on higher end woman's jean that would work well??

Well behaved women rarely make history...

Quote:

thanks so much for all the info...im looking for womans selvage jeans. ive grown up hating my mom's gap jeans and envying my dad's 20 year old-perect fit-story for every stain-ripped in all the right places-wallet mark in the pocket levis. so now im trying to find my own/make my own/own every centimeter of my own. all this info is great. any suggestions on higher end woman's jean that would work well??

--- Original message by theusualsuspect on May 17, 2006 06:46 PM

www.apc.fr

i'm not a mod or a rocker. i'm a mocker.

join a cult. www.culturepopartgallery.com