denim jacket question

blacbird

I'm fairly new here, and have looked around in posts and sites for a denim jacket which is like a type 1/type 2 levi repro jacket with the front pleats, but I'm stumped by one thing: All the ones I do find (and I realize that they are mostly faithful reproductions to the originals) are short to the point that they look like matador jackets on my body- 59, 61cm. I've looked at the usual- hinoya, bears, d-stock, warehouse, samaurai, hp, etc.

FBJ-101-01.jpg

I have found a cut which is more modern in that style at club monaco this fall, but as to be expected, the denim quality is shite. Does anyone here know of a company which uses heavy (maybe selvedge) that falls around 65-67cm? Thank you wise ones!

Hi Blacbird and Superdenim,

I have been watching and (gratefully) learning for awhile here but have not posted until now--maybe I can help. You must be 6 feet tall or so; I am six feet and have the same issue with too-short denim jackets. A friend in Japan helped me get a Denime 507 type 2-size large--which fits well. Measurements are: length from collar 25.5 in. (65 cm, like you mentioned), arm length 24.5 in. (62 cm), shoulder-to-shoulder 21 in. (53 cm). These measurements are taken after the jacket has seen two hot-water soaks. I am sorry I can't post a pic due to a broken camera but the jacket length hits me well below the belt. I also have an Studio DArtisan DB-431 type 2 jacket from Blue In Green which is slightly smaller, length is 24.5 in., also after two hot water soaks. Both these jackets are selvedge and very, very nice. Good luck.

Check out this season's Marc Jacobs/Wrangler jacket. It is based off the type1/2 levis jacket w/ front pleats. there are of course Marc Jacobs-like details to the jacket too, but I thought they weren't that overboard. Also I thought it was pretty decent denim considering. I think it was selvedge too, not sure on that though. That's the best thing I've seen recently. If you want a repro, this jacket won't be for you.

I like the look of short denim jackets. Also, most denim jacket were suppose to fit that way. Why? I don't know.

Sorry I don't have a tape to measure myself accurately but my SD jacket is 20.5 in. armpit-to-armpit giving about a 41 inch chest. The Denime jacket meaures almost 21 in. armpit-to-armpit to give a 42 inch chest. I bought a Kenneth Cole suit recently and it was actually a 44. Hope that helps.

Which of the Levis denim jacket repros have the longer body with a fuller cut....If any?

talking generous fit, but not FUBU style

or Lee for that matter. Dont want a sack-cloth jacket though

The Types 1 and 2 are a pretty similar boxy cut, although theoretically the Type 1 should be slightly shorter with fuller sleeves.The Type 3 60's jackets are very trim. They should all end around the belt line. One thing to watch for is the early Valencia made Type 2's have extremely narrow armholes which for me at least meant sizing up and consequently ruining the intended fit of the jacket.

• 2 months later...