possible New York trip

samsikle

i'm looking into going on a trip to new york this winter probably from after christmas to maybe the 5th or so of january. i honestly have no clue about where to stay or what to do so, if you all could be so kind as to direct me to any hotels or things to do and shops to go to i'd really appreciate it. the trip is still up in the air but i figure if i get more background on it then i could decide.. thanks!

how much do you want to pay for hotels? hotels in New York do not run cheap, especially during new year so you'd better start checking early. check expedia, travelocity etc for prices and availability. about what to do, there's a millions thread about it, not to mention the superfuture shopping guide that's pretty complete. anyway, you won't get bored spending a week in New York, believe me.

poly800rock - how much did that cost your friend? that sounds kind of cool.. but creepy kind of.

i've been looking up on the travel sites and it is pretty pricey. a lot of the people i know who recently traveled to new york only had to pay for plane fare because they got to stay with family. as far as hotels, i'll shell out for something not trashy. it's about 1500/person for plane + hotel and that doesn't sound too bad to me.. my friend just told me i should stay near times square.

do you guys know of any affordable but nice hotels? i think that's the only thing i'm having a problem with..