Singapore!

eloq

I've been there as a tourist. And as a guest of a friend who took me places non touristy. Wasn't much difference between the two experiences; can you guys tell me otherwise? 

Also, is there a noticeable anti-mainland chinese sentiment there? I kinda sensed it last time I was there, and can't blame them.

And yeah, the food is consistently pretty awesome.

yeah you get good food pretty much anywhere here. but yeah not too much you can do besides eat. no outdoor stuff, which i love. 

well i dont got the best knowledge but yeah its such a small country that everything looks the same. you do have the non touristy food places though, real good ones. 

Figured someone can help me. Going to start work with my firm in August, dress code is shirt + tie. Any ideas on affordable silk ties for a fresh grad? Brooks Brothers sell their ties @ 100+ per piece. Wtf.

also here's my recs for dim sum:

http://sweechoon.com/

Edited by DJ_Flame

On the local food tip I thought Lavender food court was pretty good. Another recommendation for dim sum is Victor's Kitchen. As for places to visit and see, despite being a "tourist trap" I thought Gardens by the Bay to be really good. It costs $5SGD to go up to the Dragon Fly skybridge, definitely worth taking a trip up to the top to see the sun set over Singapore.

The night safari at Singapore Zoo is another highlight, bit awkward to get, so if you're going with a group of people probably easier to get a cab there and back. We paid around $30 for a single trip from Orchard Road. Most hotels will run a coach trip and includes the entrance fee too, which workers out cheaper.

In the evening the lady and I went to Haji Lane to have a couple of drinks at one of the bars and watch a couple of live music acts. Was a relaxing, but at the same time an entertaining evening.

@DJ Flame, if you're not looking locally, Charles Trywhitt have an offer on for 2 100% silk ties for £40 http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/mens-ties/mens-woven-silk-ties?q=gbpdefault||||||||||||||| holla at me if you need a free proxy.

Edited by rirawin

Rira: IMO victor's kitchen suck balls. Drop in food standard + rising prices. Def not worth a visit. Will drop you PM for CT shirts and ties soon, thanks mate. Good local tailoring is only really affordable when I'm making past 90k per annum.

Oh and visit 51 Haji Lane for an awesome retail experience. (also I can't sleep)

Ah it's been a few years since I've been to Victor's kitchen, it was good from what I can remember. I will have to try Swee Choon next time I'm in town  ;)

I think 51 Haji Lane is now the only decent and unique store there, all the rest seemed to be repeats of each other, stocking "similar" clothing. I know as I got dragged to every single store down that stretch of lane with the missus. What I did find amusing was the number of stores having Aunties run them...

Edited by rirawin

The night safari at Singapore Zoo is another highlight, bit awkward to get, so if you're going with a group of people probably easier to get a cab there and back. We paid around $30 for a single trip from Orchard Road. Most hotels will run a coach trip and includes the entrance fee too, which workers out cheaper.

oh memories... lol

I think 51 Haji Lane is now the only decent and unique store there, all the rest seemed to be repeats of each other, stocking "similar" clothing. I know as I got dragged to every single store down that stretch of lane with the missus. What I did find amusing was the number of stores having Aunties run them...

Retail has gotten a bit better. I recommend Ambush and Bape @ Mandarin Gallery and Surrender @ Raffles Hotel

Both of these have high markups but sale period might be rolling around. I know Ambush often have good sales, like 40%, but sometimes will be out of sizes. The last Surrender sale had Mark Mcnairys going for SGD 200.

Speaking of shoes, the leftfoot stores also have a good selection. limited edition also isn't too bad but they stock more hip hop jawnz like jordans, jeremy scott adidas etc.

Also, there's a new store around the Bugis area that sells White Mountaineering, can't remember the name. Orchard Central is another good place, but more geared towards ladies.

Club 21 should be avoided unless you a balla and dgaf about spending.

Ah sorry I meant just Haji Lane itself, outside of Haji Lane there are better stores, as you have kindly pointed out  :) I was making a comparison with Haji Lane when I was there back in February this year with when I was there in 2006. It would appear a lot has changed over the years!

knowitnothing 51 haji lane

pact @ orchard central, #02-16-19 (a combination of a boutique(K.I.N but strictly sifr products.), restaurant(KILO) & japanese hair salon (PACT + LIM)

maison ikkoku, 20 kandahar street (cafe and boutique as well that stores japanese labels like nonnative and deluxe clothing.

tuckshop and sundry supplies 36A kandahar street

sup clothing 34 haji lane

bien store 71 sultan gate

at raffles hotel, you can find surrender store, apc, front row, F.I.L

shoes,

leftfoot, limited ed. they have a few outlets around town.

over at mandarin gallery, you can find

BAPE store,

The Denim Store

Ambush

Ambush no.2

thats all i can remember for now.

hope that helps :)

a couple of hipster joints along Tiong Bahru area as well.

but really, just visit KIN & Pact and you'll get a list of places to visit! haha

• 2 weeks later...

non touristy place i'd recommend tho its a bit of a ride up to woodlands hawker chicken rice.. damn it tasted so sweet after clas.

damn I really miss sg. (cept the weather) left in 2011

my weekend routine was newton hawker > arab street shisha > zirca LOL heard that place closed down tho now MINK or some millionaire club is the shit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...