sweater resizing? re-weaving? nyc?

despotroast

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with having sweaters re-sized? I have a few bigger sweaters that I would like to have chopped down a little. I know there are a few re-weavers in nyc (where I am), but I'm not sure if they do resizing. I will be calling around and asking in the near future, but I thought someone here might have some insight. Thanks.

really? it doesn't seem to me like re-sizing a knitted sweater would be the same as re-sizing a t-shirt. The seams seem to be constructed very differently and I would imagine unraveling would be an issue as well. I figured it would have to go somewhere that deals specifically with sweaters. I suppose I can just ask ramon if he is able to do this sort of thing, but I thought I would need to take these somewhere else. I have seen the topic(s) on nyc tailors; while on the subject, is there anyone here who would be able to compare ramon's and campos and campos? I have been using ramon for a while but there are certain things that I would have liked done better and other things he says he is not able to do that I think perhaps someone else may be able to do.

It really depends how delicate or the type of fabrics they used. I've had some basic vintage sweaters tailored smaller with ease. And then there are sweaters which tailors would turn down simply because it's too complicated, such as stretchy fabric. So I've learned my lesson and simply buy a sweater that fits perfect.

It depends on the fibers and how they interact in the knit. If it is a slubby knit, or a very fine knit, there shouldn't be too much of an issue to just cut and sew. Anything else I would think would require major re working, and wouldn't be worth the trouble.

• 9 months later...
Are these perhaps the same damn Lo sweaters?

why yes, yes they are as a matter of fact. blocking, eh? I will look into that. I posted that about a year ago and still haven't done anything about my sweaters that are too big on me. it's a shame, really. they are so pretty.