Red Ear

Yet Fung

I don't buy into them. Don't like the look or the price. i do like the hidden rivets, though. Also, the fact that they are designer denim kinda loses me.

I have a pair I bought off eBay. Mainly because years ago I used to wear a lot of Paul Smith and I was intrigued by his take on japanese denim. I like them. The fabric is nice, and I like the cut, although I find the stitching is a little narrow.

Love the back pocket design too.

no full thread but i did write a few posts on them...If it weren't for one big flaw which I'll get into later, they would be my favorite pair. I think the detailing is friggin unbelievable:

The inner two back pocket rivets are hidden, the outer two are not. Bottom half of the back pockets are cloth-lined on the inside surface. There is a crotch rivet. There are coin pocket rivets. The button fly contains one plastic button along with the rest of the typical metal buttons. The inside of the fly is selvage, the coin pocket is selvage and this is my absolute favorite part -- I love it how he was able to incorporate his rainbow stripe insignia into such a crucial detail such as the selvage edge. He is either very creative to have done this or very lucky that his insignia is just a bunch of stripes. The back pocket loop is also rainbow selvage. Some purists reading this may roll their eyes and scoff as such silliness but I think it's gorgeous.

As for the one big flaw: my pair is a very dark pair that teases me when it comes to fading. It really looks like it can be done but so far it has been very resistant. So far I have not heard of a raw version and these were not raw by any means but they were very saturated in color and the texture felt very "unfinished", lending me to believe I could force a fade out of them. I have not given up hope yet, there is the slightest beginnings of whiskers appearing. When the weather cools down again, I will begin work on them again.

I've always found Red Ears to be huge on me, just enormous. I haven't tried them on for at least a couple years, but still I will check every once in awhile, and they're still like JNCO-sized on me.

On the other hand... Paul Smith has a huge market in Japan (think 250 retail outlets there vs. his 2 in America) so whoever does his JP line (Sanyo Shokai?) makes nicely fitted stuff for Asian people. A couple years ago I bought these super light raw jeans (think like 9-10oz) at PS Shibuya for a reasonable price, I think about 12000 yen. The were full cut through the thighs and rise, tapered close in the calves. They were almost too high-rise though, more like a middle-aged men's jean, their only downfall. I find that if you're a skinny Asian guy like myself, that PS Japan stuff fits really on point, I'm a perfect Medium there and all of their sport jackets and stuff fit me very well too. It's too bad I'm a bit sick of colors and PS though.