Jacket/Jeans project

TommyCrown

Hi guys, I have been put in charge of a little project myself & a few friends have undertaken.

We've talked about doing something like this for years but have only just got around to actually doing it. The plan is to buy some blue & black raw denim from pacificbluedenims.com & have one of our friend's sisters, who runs a small factory, make us all a pair of jeans & a denim jacket in each colour of denim.

I've done a lot of research but would just like confirmation on the few questions I have before I place the order as it's my neck one the line :D

1. The price difference between selvage & non-selvage isn't great, am I right in thinking we should go with the selvage?

2. We'd like to use the same weight denim for the jackets & the jeans. We've been advised between 11 & 14 would be good for both so am thinking 12oz. Does anyone agree/disagree with this?

3. A couple of us want to create our own fades but a couple want to take them to a wash house. Will running them through a wash house make them softer/less rigid?

4. & finally, we are each planning on taking the machinist our favourite fitting jeans for her to copy. My favourite are a slim fit stretch denim pair, as we are using a more rigid 100% cotton denim will this effect the final fit of the jeans if copied exactly or should the differences be marginal/unnoticeable?

Any other tips, pointers or things to look out for would also be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh & I will of course post pictures when we've made progress with everything.

Welcome to the forums

1. If the price is not very different go selvege I guess

2. Most of my jeans are 14-14.5 i believe, I like that weight, but it's your call.

3. Not sure what a wash house is...but if this is the type of thing where they get sandpaper and sand blasters and wash them, what would be the point of getting raw denim for this project?

4. Yes there will be a difference, but i don't know near as much about the different types of denim as the veteran posters. Raw denim will stretch. How much depends on the denim, whether it is sanforized or unsanforized, the weight, etc.