J.C. Penny Selvage Jeans

blackgrass

I found a pair of J.C. Penny selvage jeans at a thrift store this weekend. One side of the selvage seam it is white with a yellow stripe and the other side is green. They have a Talon zip marked both on the pull and zipper. The button says J.C.P. CO. Foremost and on the back of the button it says K-4. The waist tag on the back is some sort of heavy plastic with Penny's Foremost and a steer head "branded" into the plastic and sewn with an "X" stitching in all four corners so that you can still pull a belt under it. The right back pocket has a Foremost tag along the top of the pocket seam where you would normally find a Wrangler or Rustler tag. The only other tag on the jeans is an orange tag inside the waistband and again it says Penny's Foremost with the steer head and 1836. The rivets are marked J.P.C. CO.

They are still pretty dark with some wear and the denim is still pretty rigid. They feel awesome and a bit more slubby than my APC's. They have some white wear marks about three inches from the bottom of the jeans where it looks like someone has cuffed them. I measured the waist as a 34 and the inseam as a 29 so I'm guessing these have done all their shrinking. They fit great in the waist but are a couple of inches too short for me.

Does anyone know anything about these jeans? Have you ever seen them or could give me an idea of when they were made or who might have made the selvage denim? Who used yellow and green selvage? I'm probably gonna sell or trade them as they are too short but curious as to what I have. I'll try and get some pics up soon.