good hip hop

don't really care what Tyler calls his music. it's the same shit.

Gravediggaz is my favorite horrorcore.

Nesk, what happened there? I wasn't paying attention. I listen to a lot of def jux but I don't think I've ever heard an anticon song.

Peedy crack. And that truck north cat can get ruuuuuged.

Sole showed up in this thread? That dude still gets punk for his lunch money. El p ended anticon for 8 years til mike Patton saved their lives

Granted, but this is still one of my favorite albums:

R-78565-1088941270.jpg

I would sacrifice a small country to go back to this era of music.

Anyway - I've been driving lately having moved back to LA so my playlist has been mostly music that has "big" sound. You know, the shit you cant appreciate on headphones. Namely, anything by Organized Noize, particularly Aquemini. It's a perfect album. Is there a production team in existence that has a better batting average?

96j1oaki72s

-G0Uos-Le9M

VbSGAk6d6bU

No Cudi-o

Also

HnRBt1q2ttc

mzOhHZI_2i4

My new years resolution was to not argue about hip-hop on the internet or otherwise, but fuck it: what 'real hip-hop' are you listening to?

i listen to a wide range of stuff, but im definitely a rhymesayers fanboy, brother ali, atmosphere, e&a especially, grayskul, doomtree, gang starr - primo makes every track worth listening to even when guru is slacking, mos def and talibs stuff, madlib, lootpack, el-p, company flow, clouddead, dead prez, del(tron), epmd, eminem - easily top 5 of all time imo, lil wayne, the coup, freestyle fellowship; aceyalone especially, rjd2, cut chemist, numark, old school piklz stuff, d styles, qbert, craze, flare, cash money, a trak, all the ill turntablists, i could go on forever.

i see you posted a cool calm pete joint, he is great.

eminem - easily top 5 of all time imo

hip Hop Is Like Egypt, Produced From It's Greatest To Sadness

the Industry's Enemy, troops Invading Our Palace

they Steal Our Culture, Desecrate Our Sculptures And Claim

the Best Rappers The Complexion Of The Roman Leader Known As Ceaser

i Don't Believe 'em, I Seek Knowledge, The Brand Nubians

the Soul Of Pete Rock, The Vibe Of The Tribe

heart Of Gangstarr, The beats Of Diggin' In The Crates

i'm Kool Like Moe Dee, Vocally I Innovate

Cosign on Pete though.

Namely, anything by Organized Noize, particularly Aquemini. It's a perfect album. Is there a production team in existence that has a better batting average?

When that Sir Lucious Left Foot dropped last summer, an everyone like "this is the greatest record. Big Boi blah blah blah, best record of the year this, indie blog that", I copped and was like meh. Then I bumped Aquemini ad nauseum for 2 months. Shit is up there with anything. Easily top 10 of all time hip-hop record.

HJrQwvEVtMw

bjork-hunter???

mass caught me sleepin here. this linda tripp track was a comeback to sole's dear el-p. which was mostly only entertaining for the dictionary bit. but el absolutely murk'd him with the recorded phonecall of sole gooing over company flow.

as an added histroy bonus, when el and def jux were going after esoteric, theres a line where el says "should have known youd be the next with a record called s(ole's) purpose, which is referencing 7l and eso's album soul purpose. that battle also produced the space kangaroo bit on the def jux end and the revenge of the nerds rap on eso's end. it was mildly entertaining.

Peedy crack. And that truck north cat can get ruuuuuged.

Sole showed up in this thread? That dude still gets punk for his lunch money. El p ended anticon for 8 years til mike Patton saved their lives

I started looking for truck north after I was impressed by him on the newest Roots album. Dude is definitely dope.

About Sole - I said dude had fallen off. I saw him live 3 or 4 years ago and he was playing with that wack Skyrider live band and sounded awful. However, I'd be hard pressed at that time to find indie releases better than Bottle of Humans, Deep Puddle Dynamics, or Selling Live Water.

I don't care about El-P or Def Jux at all. The only two releases from them that I love are Cold Vein & Labor Days, never cared for anything after that, especially post 2001..

iono, man. agree to disagree i guess. i always thought sole was such a whiny lil bitch in the sense that he was like "hey look at me, im making advanced level hip hop by not rhyming or conforming to time signatures. LOOK AT ME OVER HERE." deep puddle wasnt even that big for me and i really liked slug in that era. dose's voice just ruins everything plus add in sole and im basically maxed out before the record starts moving. the orphanage would have been a better indie-rap super group if they ever released that record.

as far as not liking DJX, i can see why. it took me a while to warm up to them but once i got it, i really got it.

ha I agree that dose could've been exempt from DPD and it probably would've resulted in a much better album. as far as sole's "advanced level" rhyming, I concur. The more disjointed the production behind him became, especially when he started producing his own shit, the worse his songs became and his flow did seem to beg for attention.

but when he had dope producers like Odd Nosdam, Alias, Daddy Kev & Jel behind him he somehow murked the beats in a crazy polyrhythmic manner that appealed to my sensibilities.

While being completely different rappers stylistically, I think Sole & T.I. are really in the same boat: only as good as the producers behind them.

I'm game. I've heard a lot of Def Jux stuff tho. Did you hear El-P's We'reallgonnaburninhellmegamixx beat tape? That came out like 4 months ago. It was ok.. Generally I can't get down with Aesop. Float has some ok songs but Labor Days is really the only one that's compelling enough on the production end for me to handle all the way though.

now some dope songs...

wrUkzK0s_sc

agdJlz5uF6s

sR2PowYXJIE

Yeah but Art of Storytellin pt1 is so much iller. Sasha Thumper ftw.

Spottieottoedopalicous murders all though.

Both are dope but part 2 >>>> part 1.

School me on some good Three 6. Where should I start?

haha, mass knows what's up. Prophet Posse - Body Parts used to be my shit.

As far as pretty much any project three 6 ever did, around 2000 is when anything good ended. When the Smoke Clears is the last legitimate three 6 album and even it was starting to sound really mainstream compared to what they'd always been (e.g., Sippin on Some Sizzurp vs Mystic Stylez)

First things I'd recommend downloading would be Smoked Out, Loced Out and Mystic Stylez. If you want some cleaner production then get Chapter 1: The End. Other than three 6 specifically, get Prophet Posse - Body Parts, it showcased everybody on Prophet Entertainment (label owned by three 6 from like 91-98).

Comparing the shit they make now to this is just sad:

VgKucqXDNwc

El-P is working on the album now. He's also just done a beat for Killer Mike. I've only heard a snippet, but it's pretty dope.

The megamixxx was cool. He does one like every year. NoCanDo rapped over one of them

eENCBjYr9jY

Despot is the shit. He's on here somewhere. No idea when dude's album is coming out, but it's all Ratatat I think.

s8pcpFmfXKw

F2AEzGh5ew4

Cool Calm I already mentioned but here's a song with Aesop that I like

CIjgCaCCjko

and some El-P I fuck with

M9b-ibeakUA

VWNA-jJNhos

and yeah Fast Cars is good

b_ERDSLtkqM