Red Monkey Information? (Sizing, location, etc.)

red120

Anyone know how RM jeans fit? Havn't had any luck finding a legit-looking online retailer, and havn't seen them at all in Toronto, so I wanted to get a friend in HK to pick it up for me before she comes back during the summer.

Also, does anyone know the location that they could be found in HK? Thanks guys..

Yeah, I know the general opinion on this board is that RMC is overpriced, but I for one like the hand embroidery detail on the back pockets, very colourful, attractive, and most important, distinctive..

I for one don't find embroidery on the back pockets distinctive...

True Religion, J&Company, Antik, all have multiple styles of embroidery ranging from $160-$400...would I necessarily get one of them over Red Monkey? No...but I probably wouldn't get Red Monkey either

At a certain price level, I believe you are paying for quality, paying for a name, or both...I'll leave it to the imagination which category I think Red Monkey falls into.

they fit baggy with a slight taper at the bottom of the jeans.

they can be found in any lane crawford location as well as the 1001 originals store. there are 3 1001 locations i know of. one in central near lan kwai fung, one in TST on the corner of chatnam road and granville, and the flagship 1001 store on austin avenue.

have your friend look at the map of TST here:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1312

RMC retails from $1400-1700 HKD. a few months ago, i found some going for $35 USD in a street market in prince edward (score for me!). the jeans were real selvage denim. but the place has been overrun by fakes ever since then. there are many many fakes out there with fake selvedge sewn into the seam.

real selvage denim but cheap denim and fake RMC - dont be fooled .

the only read monkey type jean I would ever wear is a brand called Ciano look into it ..

beautiful embroidery not cheap looking at all like RMC ..

i have no complaints of the quality of denim of RMC jeans. they're just jeans dood.

some of the RMC designs are downright talking to me like the geisha girl showin her hairy cooch and the bondage girl. i stick with more muted designs.

Quote:

they fit baggy with a slight taper at the bottom of the jeans.

they can be found in any lane crawford location as well as the 1001 originals store. there are 3 1001 locations i know of. one in central near lan kwai fung, one in TST on the corner of chatnam road and granville, and the flagship 1001 store on austin avenue.

have your friend look at the map of TST here:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1312

RMC retails from $1400-1700 HKD. a few months ago, i found some going for $35 USD in a street market in prince edward (score for me!). the jeans were real selvage denim. but the place has been overrun by fakes ever since then. there are many many fakes out there with fake selvedge sewn into the seam.

--- Original message by Landy on May 19, 2006 12:06 AM

' $35 USD in a street market in prince edward'

You sure these aren't fakes?? On ebay there's loads of fake with the selvage line.

you don't know your denim was my point . You don't think there is such thing as knockoff selvage ? And by this I mean REAL selvage but garbage quality .. They were all over eBay last year from overseas sellers .

Haven't you ever seen fake levi's that have " real selvage " ?

They are crap they are fake just like the $35 rmc you saw

^ i know there's such a thing as knock off selvedge jackass. i used to live in HK and i've been coming here every year for years. i know where to shop and where to look for things. i can spot a bootleg from a mile away. you don't even have the jeans in your possession so how would you even know if they're fake? the denim is rigid on the outside but butter soft on the inside. and let's just say hypothetically that they were fake, god forbid i buy something because i like how it fits and looks on me.. fake or not. *eyerolls*

Dude it's a denim knowledge off!!!!! It's time for a battle...

Hmm.. well, normally I wear 30x28, but I will just get 30x30 and get it hemmed if its tappered then. Thanks man..

And as for the price.. wow! Even the top end of that at 1700HKD is so incredibly cheap compared to how much it would cost to import to here.. that's only like, 300CDN. Awesome.. and I can buy confidently at Lane Crawford cuz there won't be any fakes for sure..

Well.. I guess I'm decided then.. haha.. any chance that anyone here has a few pics of this season's?

Edited by red120 on May 19, 2006 at 08:12 PM

Edited by red120 on May 19, 2006 at 08:13 PM

Point is besides the fact I have seen jeans that would easily pass as authentic with semi-quality denim being used - one minute you said they were at a street market and then all of a sudden currently the market is swamped with fakes now ( instead of " real-selvage/real RMC " )

The reason RMC charged so much besides the fact it used real japanese denim was each one of those friggin stitches on the back pockets was sewn by hand on the authentic Kosh RMC .

I would assume hand picked maybe even before shipping to boutiques too ..

just like fake jordans - they look real and before nike connaseurs < sp > knew to look for box labels , box print and inner barcodes and things like that no one knew the difference unless they had a very special eye for detail and form as a whole .

I don't get how they charge $800 and all of a sudden you spot a pair for $35

$235 would be cost probably not including import duties , taxes etc and excluding all mark up ..

^ there is no sales tax in HK. and people in HK have ways of circumventing import fees. thousands of people from hong kong cross the border freely two and from each day. they often take large boxes and burlap sacks back full of goods.

obviously i'm not going to convince you that i found some real jeans. but that's the case occasionally in HK. anything that's made in china, even RMC jeans, are fair game to be found in HK. do you think all those import/export shops in HK have any clue what's in and what's not? no they get so many real retail brands laying around and they have no idea what's trendy. but they do notice when one brand starts moving more than another. and when one brand starts selling ridiculously well, that's when they start bootlegging.case in point, in 2004, i happen to stumble across some real diesel sneakers among a bunch of skechers in a market in mongkok. i bought them for $8. i come back two years later and there's nothing but fake diesel shoes everywhere. why? because obviously the diesel shoes sold better than any other product. if you know where to look and you catch things early, yes, you can find real goods in HK for cheap. that's why they call it a shopper's paradise here. that's why millions of tourists come to HK... to shop and look for deals.

ok ok Landy .. I was just expressing the fact that I have seen RMC with genuine selvage denim and pretty decent construction but when they are $50 USD and no box no tags no foils etc even though they might not be retail they are not real imho ..

If you found a pair you were convinced were the real deal though cheap great ..

as far as red monkey is concerned, who cares if they are real or not?

every other 15 year-old kid from the hood in new york is rocking fake red monkey jeans. there are already several brands that are making blatant (even more ridiculous than the original) rip-offs of the red monkey aesthetic.

my point is, at the end of the day, these kids are the TRUE representatives of this aesthetic--not jay-z or whoever. so, if you really want to be real, it's better to wear what they are wearing--red monkey fakes that you can get from bootleggers in the fashion district.

just my opinion, though...

http://mizanation.blogspot.com