What's cool in Nagoya?

dead_poets66

I lived in Nagoya for 6 months in 2001-2 so bear with me (sorry)

You should check out Osu-Kannon and Yaba-cho/Sakae area for some cool shopping. There is a Busy Works Shop and zillions of fresh sneaker stores. You should go to the "Loft" store in Sakae and also Tokyu Hands (there are a few but the one I am familiar with is at Nagoya-eki). Also, you should check out the Kintetsu shopping mall which is in between Fushimi and Nagoya-eki.

Oh yeah and for a good Gaijin club, check out ID Bar in Sakae. The guy who runs it is from Holland and they have decent American hip-hop there.

Check out the subway map for reference. Email me at [email protected] if you got questions. Also, pick up some Ichigo iri daifuku at a Conbini (its not sold very many places but its soooo good).

Do you speak any Japanese?

Oh yeah -- I can't forget one of my favorite places in Nagoya!

Its called Library (but its in Hiragana for some reason). Its off of the Irinaka subway stop, then up the hill towards Nanzan Daigaku. Its this cafe that has free vieo games, magazines and manga lining the walls, and every table has a PS2 or Gamecube with a little 10 inch monitor. As long as you have food/drink on the table, you can play games and read magazines for free. A great way to relax.

Don't be afraid to ask for directions even if you speak little Japanese.

And Eat EAT EAT!!! Try some Kishimen cause thats what Nagoya's specialty noodle is.

a few people have said nagoya has the most fashionable people in japan.

something about nothing else in the city to do except for looking fabulous,

kinda how i imagine detroit techno exploded in the 80's.

these kids in detroit sitting around in a crazy industrial city with nothing else but their imagination dreaming of an electro future is like these kids in the industrial heartland of japan.

Funny. I lived in Nagoya between 2001-2002 for about 6 months also.

Nagoya has the most fashionable people, but I think they're more of the uppity fashion-able people..the girls dress like they were dipped in Louis V... I'd prefer Osaka or Harajuku for real street fashion heads.

ID Bar ruled back in the day..

Go to a "Mexican" restaurant called Los Tacos. There's also some dope Brazilian joints...shoot. forgot everything.

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com

Bobbhundreds --

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do in Nagoya for 6 months in 2001? I went to the CJS program at Nanzan Daigaku. I went to ID Bar like every weekend for the entire fall of 2001 so I wonder if I'd recognize your face. I had sorta tucked my memories of Nagoya away but now they are all coming back. Oh yeah -- I lived in Shyogamaguchi on the Tsurumai line. Ahhhhh what great memories. Now I live in NYC and I'd do anything to get the subways here updated like the Nagoya subways.