Super Big Ideas

broneck

Hey guys, I thought this was interesting enough to deserve it's own thread. Not this specific clip, but the idea of the thread in general.

Essentially, post "big ideas" that transcend the "Next Level Shit" thread, including (but not limited to) philosophy, physics, biology, etc.

I'll start us out:

Biologist and Primatologist Robert Spolsky tackles "what separates us from unevolved primates?" - less than we believe apparently (or rather, we're unique in much more subtle ways than we've once believed)

http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_sapolsky_the_uniqueness_of_humans.html

hrCVu25wQ5s&feature=player_embedded#

It's one of those books you find yourself talking to friends, family, random strangers about right after you've read it. You know you sound like an asshole. You know you typically hate those kinds of assholes. You see the glazed look in their eyes, but you just. can't. stop.

I won't claim it's a life-changer (my life didn't change much because, in a lot of ways, I'm lazy and shiftless with good intentions) but it will definitely change the way you look at the world.

TED is great; watch 20 videos on ted.com really gets your brain on some next-level thinking...

probably the most interesting idea to me was the idea of living forever... dude looks like father time too with his epic beard :o

and his conjecture that a breakthrough in anti-aging shit will occur within a couple of decades? damn. i really hope someone doesn't somehow stifle any emerging technologies that would help the anti aging cause (like how companies used to stifle the development of the electric car)