Buying suits in Shanghai & Beijing?

IchHeisseWILSON

I know WW Chan has a shop there.

I just got back from a trip to their Hong Kong shop for my first suit from them.

I can't report on the final outcome quite yet, but I will say that the experience left me feeling as though I was in very good hands.

They didn't rush me, they listened to my ideas, and they steered me in the right direction when I got off track with crazy ideas.

I hear they cost more than most but it's a fair price for the quality they offer.

Here's their Shanghai address:

MAOMINNG LU, SHANGHAI

129-A02 MAOMING NAN LU, BY HUAI HAI ZHONG LU

200020, CHINA

PHONE: (86-21) 5404 1469

FAX: (86-21) 5404 0539

if you want cheap - there are 2 fabric markets to consider. I tend to avoid the one on Lujiabang Lu and go for the Shiliupu on Dongmen Lu/Renmin Lu. Its not as busy, equally well stocked even if a bit smaller.

Otherwise, there are some small tailors dotted around - Dongping Lu, Shaoxing Lu and other french concession areas.

What you could consider is buying your fabric at the fabric markets and then taking it to one of the better tailors.

I find it bizarre that you would want to make it in Shanghai...

but I guess price can be a factor. Just make sure you know where you are and who you're with. They are Shanghainese, so many will try to tell you how great the fabric is, it's probably a good idea to get in with some prior knowledge.

• 3 years later...