Chengdu this summer

fang

so i'm leaving for china in a few weeks. this will be my 1st time visiting china. what's there to do!? shopping suggestions? most worthwhile sightseeing available? nightlife? help me out sufu!

Eat some of the spiciest, most mouth-numbing Chinese food in the world..

how long are you gonna be there? it's hot and humid during summer, and expect some rainfall.

How did you decide to visit Chengdu for your first visit to China anyway? especially since it seems like you're not that familiar with it..

chengdu is a chill, laid-back city. enjoy

i'm not familiar with any of china. visiting relatives there at chengdu. i do like spicy sichuan style cuisine but i'm afraid that its gonna be too hot for me to handle in actual china.

ah okay. since it's your first time there, just keep an open mind... chengdu is chill but society and social norms are quite different in China, as you can probably imagine. regarding the foods, dont worry! hopefully the more you try it, the more you'll learn to like it. how long are you there for? if you have time, you may want to look into checking out other areas of Sichuan province.

i didn't really find much to do in chengdu aside from touristy stuff - but i wasn't there for long. i just remember going to a club called kakadu or something equally random. as fallen angels said, eat lots of food has a lot of "ma la" (the mouth numbing spice). i stayed in chongqing for a few weeks also and wasn't able to find much. this was all 3-5 years ago though.

staying for 2 weeks. doing touristy stuff is a given i suppose. visiting pandas, giant buddhas etc. i just don't want to miss out on anything especially worthwhile in the area.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm in shanghai right now, beautiful city. i've been on some ghetto chinese tour for the past few days going from shanghai, suzhou, wuxi, nanjing, hangzhou and back to shanghai. my week in chengdu was pretty bleh but the food there has made the stay worth it. going back tomorrow for 2 more nights and plan to grub like mad.