going to paris for one month (july)

robin egan

dear super future,

I'm seventeen, going to paris to live for a month witha pre college art program this summer (2009). I live around new york city now. I've only been once, two years ago and I wanted to know from those who live or travel often the deal with basics. Such as shops, cafes, galleries, booze, music and the rest. I've been to apc, lanvin and rick and colette etc. but I'd love to hear of smaller boutiques. As a result of only taking spanish, my french is shit, but I'm hoping I can cope. Also, I wouldn't mind hearing about how effective the smoking ban has been in cafes and restaurants. I'd rather know directly from you than sifting through the 200 results for paris on supertravel I thought you'd all know better than the rest of those on the internet.

thanks so much

booze underage is easy as hell. i think cigarettes are now 18, but they'll still sell to a 5 year old. there are cafes all over the place, i love smoking at an outdoor part of a cafe. the people should be able to speak basic english, i'm fluent in both french and english so i haven't really experimented with their english but it should be ok. paris is the shit though, i miss it bad. i live around nyc as well. i might be going this summer as well, to paris, st jean de luz (south of france, right by biarritz) and brittany. i don't know about many shops, i go every summer and lived there for 4 years (i was young) but never really shop. les galeries lafayette should be nice (but its not small hahah). i don't know about the smoking ban, but i don't think you'll be able to smoke inside cafes. the outer part of the cafe is most probably fine. enjoy spring in paris man, its so nice, much nicer than nyc in spring. by the way, where are you doing your art program?

• 3 weeks later...