Dirk Bikkembergs & Marina Yee

ProfMonnitoff

DB clothing sucks now. Especially his 2nd line. Too much branding and logo's and soccer elements on clothing. Awkward fabric combinations and too flashy. Compare with diesel, replay shit. I kinda liked some coats from the mainline like 6 years ago but then it turned into shit.

Dirk used to be a great designer in 90s, I could place

him even close to Lang from that time...

sjcf_01_img0039.jpg

sjcf_01_img0040.jpg

"I design clothes for men and women that have a special, strong attitude; for a younger, future-minded generation for whom fashion has become a way to express themselves; to give shelter and strength and the feeling of looking good; a generation that has risen above the question of fashion, sure about its quality and style and their own; celebrating life.

I design collections that give one whole strong look, a vision of life, men and women with items that are nonchalant and easy to mix, give freedom and don't restrict the wearer; but there are always special pieces that are stronger and more defined, marking a certain period of time and setting a sign.

My clothes are never retro. I hate the idea of looking back. I don't have any idols from the past. I do strongly believe in tomorrow and the future of the human race. To achieve this I devote a lot of attention to the cut and fabric that I use. Yes, I tend to think about my clothes as fashion and I'm not afraid of that, nor are my clients.

I design strong clothes for strong individuals rather than wrapping up pretentious nerds in sophisticated cashmere. Nothing is so boring as a "nice and neat" look. Life is just too good and too short for that."

—Dirk Bikkembergs

But now he's on this athletic, idealization-of-the-male-body tip. Total overkill. And I remember reading some interview where he was asked his current career aspirations and he said something about designing clothing for an entire soccer team. Lame.

dirk van saene has done a ton of cool shit

i have an old magazine that he curated

but even margiela is probably retiring soon so i guess its fair enough that other people who studied at the same time aren't on top of their game anymore

its just that i've literally never seen anything by marina yee, which is probably because i've only really been into fashion and design for 2-3 years