Paris need help

lawrence

Hi lawrence,

You like jeans:

Preppy clothing, rue Tiquetonne 2nd district

Royal cheese, rue Tiquetonne 2nd district

45rpm, rue du marché saint honoré, near Colette

Le Bouclard, passage du grand cerf 2nd district (parallel rue tiquetonne)

Starcow, rue saint honoré

my best restaurant

Joe Allen, rue Pierre Lescot, 1st district every day 12:00 until 2:00

good trip

most of the restaurants in the LQ are the same price.. you can get a 4 course meal for 20 euros.. that may include a glass of wine & a cheese/sweets tray; most places (at least during the warmer months) post their menus outside the patios for all to see; walk a few blocks from the river and you'll be bombarded by the # of small restuarants/port bars... hth

i'll be there in five minutes. five hours later, i'll be there in five minutes -

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite is Chez Marcel (rue Stanislas near Montparnasse); it's tiny, old-fashioned, over heated and crouded, and closed on weekends like all real restaurants icon_smile.gif

There's a good one in the Marais where I went but I forgot the name and address.

there's some new interesting stores worth checking between surface to air & the castelbajac store, mostly clothing but also the Artoyz store (for vinyl maniacs).

new store & brand with a rock/gothy edge : Noir Kennedy, near Metro St Paul

vintage clothing is generally much more expensive in France than in the US (that is, if you're looking for stylish stuff) but you may still have a go at emmaüs (much cheaper but you'll spend lots of time going through crap before you get lucky).

drinks : in le marais : l'etoile manquante is cosy, la perle is funnier (well, depends on the crowd), both are in rue vieille du temple. a little bit further (rue amelot, metro st sebastien) Pop In is the den of the indie crowd, with a dancefloor downstairs. cosy on week days & sundays (weekly open mic evening), it's really packed on fridays & saturdays.

Clubbing : check le pulp and, depending on the nights, le point ephemere & le rex club.

Marianne's fallafels are by far my favourites in le marais, problem is that you can't actually sit in unless you're having a "real" meal

around le marais, there's a hidden mini-chinatown in rue au maire & rue volta, you can eat pretty well in most restaurants, & supercheap. I'd personnally recommend "chez Xu", rue volta, nothing fancy but good food (approved by friends from HK) with main dish between 4.5 & 6 euros.

but the best Pho soup in Paris are in Pho Ban Cuon a.k.a Pho14, 129 av Choisy M° Tolbiac

there's some new interesting stores worth checking between surface to air & the castelbajac store (near Les Halles), mostly clothing but also the Artoyz store (for designer toys maniacs).

new store & brand with a rock/gothy edge : Noir Kennedy, near Metro St Paul

vintage clothing is generally much more expensive in France than in the US (that is, if you're looking for stylish stuff) but you may still have a go at emmaüs (much cheaper but you'll spend lots of time going through crap before you get lucky).

drinks : in le marais : l'etoile manquante is cosy, la perle is funnier (well, depends on the crowd), both are in rue vieille du temple. a little bit further (rue amelot, metro st sebastien) Pop In is the den of the indie crowd, with a dancefloor downstairs. cosy on week days & sundays (weekly open mic evening), it's really packed on fridays & saturdays.

Clubbing : check le pulp and, depending on the nights, le point ephemere & le rex club.

you may also want to check new clubs : le baron, le marquis, le paris paris, le madame, le rouge orange... but depending on the nights, the crowd could vary from cool "in crowd" type to posh pricks, fashionista wannabees (as opposed to connoisseurs) & valley boys.

avoid le triptyque unless you're aiming at a particularly interesting event.

Marianne's fallafels are by far my favourites in le marais, problem is that you can't actually sit in unless you're having a "real" meal

around le marais (actually, near metro Arts & Metiers, 10 mn walk from Beaubourg/Pompidou or Republic), there's a hidden mini-chinatown in rue au maire & rue volta, you can eat pretty well in most restaurants, & supercheap. I'd personnally recommend "chez Xu", rue volta, nothing fancy but good food (approved by friends from HK) with main dish between 4.5 & 6 euros.

but the best Pho soup in Paris are in Pho Ban Cuon a.k.a Pho14, 129 av Choisy M° Tolbiac

the store that faces Noir Kennedy also has some fun stuff... I think it's only female fashion

records hunting : Daphonic (between metro republique & filles du calvaire) is the best electro store in Paris (located where the Katapult store used to be), for indie / rock (including vinyls), visit Ground Zero (near metro filles du calvaire). one of the Gibert stores (between metro st michel & RER luxembourg) also has indie / rock & electro stuff in the basement.

the flea markets are rather disapointing, unless you're ready to pay collectors prices (and I never really found them exciting clotheswise).

when it comes to second hand stuff, try "chez youri" (metro bourse or sentier), gibert, boulinier (not far from gibert)... the best would be to come across a yard sale but they're rather rare & generally out of the tourists' way.

you'll get mint vinyls at collector's prices at Monster Melodies (near Chatelet / Les Halles) and you can find cheap CDs (well, to french standards) at the jussieu musique stores, near metro jussieu.

Centre Pompidou / Beaubourg (the modern art museum is commonly called by that small area's name)'s bookstore's quite OK, also check the Lazy Dog for design / illustration / graffiti books & toys.

independant movies : check the MK2 movie theaters (there's one just outside Beaubourg) for recent stuff. lots of small cinemas in the 5th & 6th districts play classic movies and good movies from the previous years (just keep in mind that they usually show each movie once a week).

also check cinematography cycles at forum des images, centre pompidou, cinemathèque française, cinémathèque chaillot, cinémathèque grands boulevards...

useful link www.seances.org

foreign movies are mostly played in the original versions with subtitles in Paris so you do not have to understand french.

and, of course, streetwear at Le Shop, bits of everything at Colette and L'Eclaireur (near Louvres / Palais Royal).

Edited by V on Jan 4, 2006 at 04:57 PM