Raf Simons

eodlover

I'm sure Raf simmons makes an appearance in a boiook called the supermodern wardrobe.

[url=" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0810965879/103-5750775-5528636?v=glance&n=283155"] <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0810965879/103-5750775-5528636?v=glance&n=283155" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0810965879/103-5750775-5528636?v=glance&n=283155</a>

It's published by the V+A gllery in London, and even if he doesn't appear it's worth buying if you're

interested in that spectrum of fashion.

New York Times (T Men's Magazine?) did a very good article on Raf Simons recently. It's no wonder that Prada picked him up to redo Jil Sander. The entire thin silhouette is all his; apparently very Belgian? I think he'll be one of the few people making a big splash in the next few years; ala Helmut Lang...

Quote:

New York Times (T Men's Magazine?) did a very good article on Raf Simons recently. It's no wonder that Prada picked him up to redo Jil Sander. The entire thin silhouette is all his; apparently very Belgian? I think he'll be one of the few people making a big splash in the next few years; ala Helmut Lang...

--- Original message by djrajio on Dec 1, 2005 04:38 PM

hasn't he been moving away from the slim silhouette as of late though? Alot of his stuff seems to have HUGE pants like absurdly large.

That naturally comes from the recent uprising in experimentation with contured body forms and abstract/aggresive beauty debate.

Raf Simons is not someone GOING to make a big splash over the next few years, Raf Simons is already a trendsetting and dominating factor in both the international fashion scene as well as the netherland avantgarde.

You should try looking around at www.firstview.com, there you will be able to see some of the older collections.

Pff.

dress badly on purpose.

• 1 month later...

I don't agree about raf comparison to hedi. Raf is very clean in many sense, however his blazers are notriously cut boxy with paded shoulders. I compare him more to Helmut lang in some sense.

I find his work for jil sanders boring but his work for his own label amazing. It might interest you that he never took a fashion course but studied industrial design, worked as a furniture designer for quite some time before moving into fashion.

My favorite collection of his was the Spring 2002, sometimes mistakingly reffered to as his terrorist collection . Quite unfortunate timing since it was shown in sept 2001

http://www.firstview.com/MENspring2002/RAF_SIMONS/index.html

Edited by mouko on Jan 17, 2006 at 05:21 PM

Edited by mouko on Jan 17, 2006 at 05:21 PM

haha talking about bad timing with that ss 02 collection....

i thought his new collection for jil sanders was very nice, not really my style but i liked it. I thought the box shaped stuff looked good with the slim trousers but i think this collection has to grow on you... didn't like it at all when first saw it but i like it better and better. He combines his own style very nice with that of jil sanders i think, respecting both.

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

RobbertJan - Definately. At first when i saw the baggy tops and coats that was shown on the runaway, I was a bit horrified as Jil Sander is known for its great fit.

However its a refreshing change from all the skin tight, rock-and-roll look currently and I applaud Raf Simons for breaking the mold and making the collection his, yet still Jil Sander.

Getsuga Tenshou