Sign in to follow this  
confidant

Top Cities For Your Money

>> cities like new york and san francisco are among the best in the world for restaurants, bars and clubs, shops, art, and culture, but living in these cities comes with a price. what are your top cities to live in for your money (cost of living vs. things to do)?

I've always liked Philly a lot. Good music scene. More Character than DC. Two hours to DC or NYC. Cheap cost of living.

Chicago is cool too.

Berlin, Kuala Lumpur, Istanbul.

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

definitely has to be philly. great restaurants, music and so close to nyc and dc.

miuzi weighs a ton

try san diego. just like san francisco w/o the insanely high prices on just about everything. also, can't beat the amazing weather.

In China I took out like 200 american from the ATM and it lasted me two weeks. I didn't do much shopping though, since it's all tourist crap except for the nice parts of Shanghai. All my meals and and lodging and shit was paid for as part of a group package.

cities to live in, or cities to visit?

either way:

montréal

mexico city (if you ignore the crime)

hong kong

moscow (but not in winter!)

melbourne

IF...you know where you're going; I don't see how you could beat Jakarta.

To the uninitiated or poorly guided it would be hell, though.

jakarta must be by far the ugliest, dirtiest, noisiest,most polluted, nothing to offer city i have ever been to. theres nothing, just concrete and buildings. no sights, no interesting shopping possibilities, no clean food, no nice people. avoid under all circumstances. i caught a disease there (possibly got bitten by dengue fever mosquito) and due to no medical infrastrucutre i ended up in hospital in singapore for 1 week, which cost me 2000$... there was a CEO of a german company next to my bed who suffered a stroke in jakarta . they had to fly him to singapore for treatment in a private jet with a doctors team in the middle of the night.( i had made it myself-wasnt that serious with me). he had a special insurance for those air doctors. so they could pass the 100.000$ hospital bill / air doctors fee over to the insurance. but just think aboput the possibility if that happened to you..you would literally die there, cause there are no doctors who can understand you or you dont have the insurance for transportation.

if you wanna be in indonesia you better go to yogyakarta (when there arent earthquakes tho)..or bali..

Edited by juxtaposed on May 30, 2006 at 04:24 AM

i moved to johannesburg 4years ago and i'm totally blown away by how ''not africa'' it is,i mean none of that national geographics shite.at the moment there's this underground retail/fashion/art movement that calls itself ''the complex situation''-most of these fashion designers/artists run their highly exclusive shops from council estate buildings where you can find raf simons-circa-kollapse along some zulu lulu dolls.

but the nightlife is where it's at, there's this club nite that my shop manager started called ''hoochie burlesque''...that's in an area called newtown-like the city's fashion district or sumthin'.

at the moment everyone is starting something...i've started these nites where the city's young can get together to listen to everything from britt eckland via bjork to gabber .

New York

San Francisco

Tokyo

They're worth the money.

(But Vancouver ain't bad, treasurehoard.)