Lark & Wolff (Steven Alan x UO)

lucky_cloud

So, Corpus already did this, and now Steven Alan did a collaboration with Urban Outfitters. What do you think? Bad brand dilution? Have to see in person whether or not the shirts are actually decent enough to wear, but Steven Alan-designed stuff at <$80 sounds intriguing to me.

Lookbook and interview with SA here:

http://blog.urbanoutfitters.com/projects/lark_and_wolff/

(with music from the not-out-yet Stereolab album! UO never misses a chance to cross-promote...)

Any UO right now has a couple ill fitting short sleeve button downs in basic check patterns, and decent oxford cotton pants for ~80 bucks.

Only thing I had any interest in was a duffel coat shown in an article about it a while ago.

That "This is not a steve alan shirt" tag couldn't be more true. Cut, materials, and quality are just totally generic UO.

^ Pretty much my first-impression - had a quick look the other day but didn't try anything on.

Only saw short-sleeve button-downs, some thin navy chinos, shorts and stripe tee's. Pretty bland, but price was def. cheap (even a bit less than the Corpus line?) so may go back for another look sometime.

Yea, the stuff looks pretty unremarkable, but then again, that's kinda how steven alan is in general. Not that i dislike it or anything. If stuff hits sale and is less than $40, i may pick something up if the material doesn't feel like asshole.

Looks like garbage. Also why is Corpus doing a diffusion line when it's already cheap and shitty quality. I can't imagine what the By Corpus stuff feels and fits like...

Uh, exact same goes for Steven Alan. Never understood who buys that shit. Mediocre cuts, mediocre quality, extremely mediocre/bland designs, and absurd prices. UO fits in perfectly with their scheme.

well, i did end up checking this stuff out today and it's garbage, as expected. pretty much totally regular UO merch with Steven Alan's name on it. Fits were terrible.

don't really understand englandmj7's hate on the mainline SA stuff, though. I have two Steven Alan shirts and I consider them the best I've ever had on.

UO is already making SA cheep ripoffs on a regular basis. The collab is only a (co)branding thing.

SA shirts are not the best you can handle but they're still quality.

If I had to pay the SA price for classic shirts, I'd prefer to get individualized.

don't really understand englandmj7's hate on the mainline SA stuff, though. I have two Steven Alan shirts and I consider them the best I've ever had on.

If you can't see the absurdity of $180, thin, plain cotton, ill-fitting flannel shirts then I'm not sure what to tell you. Not only can you find much better looking, comparable items from the likes of Ralph Lauren for 1/2 the price, but I'd venture to say that they are pretty much on par in terms of style/quality with your generic, floppy-collared, lightweight button-up from Target/GAP/etc.

More power to the man for expanding his presence all over the world, but honest to god, I really can't see the appeal AT ALL.

As a side note, I've been guilty of using the 'quality' argument on plenty of occasions, but let's be serious, no one is fucking logging in their Steven Alan shirts. The button-ups I've owned that have lasted me longest have been $9.99 Wrangler ones. So, that being said, people obviously buy this for the style/fit; which is why I'm a bit confused since the brand's offerings have neither.

i dunno. i mean, i'm not buying flannel, just regular gingham and striped cotton shirts, but the fit and fabric justify it for me. I've bought gap shirts in the last year and they suck balls compared to steven alan. i agree that the retail price is inflated, but at sale prices, they're worth every penny.

i work at urban outshitters, and have the misfortune of encountering Lark and Wolff on a daily basis. Overall, it's shy of mediocre. Quality is better than typical UO stuff, but still not too great.

The line is straight up boring, and price jacks are not justified and we offer the same ill fitting shirts and pants at a fraction of the price. the end.

England, you're smart enough but i know hate be blinding you. You know that quality doesn't only mean how long it'll hold up during intense use, right? Maybe lucky is saying that the quality of the garment in general is better. The fit, the construction, details, fabric, longevity in terms of maintaining shape, and general aesthetic.

I know you also hate Band of Outsiders, but i own 2 band of outsiders shirts, a few cheap ones, a filippa k one and used to have a jil sander one. The band of outsider shirt holds it's own fabric, construction wise with the Jil and is a completely different fit from it, so they're hard to compare besides the fact that they're a button up. Just because you don't believe the hype doesn't mean you're actually right about anything. I know there are better quality shirts out there, but for a shorter hemmed slim fitting shirt, they're solid buys on sale. I probably wouldn't fuck with retail on either brands

England, you're smart enough but i know hate be blinding you. You know that quality doesn't only mean how long it'll hold up during intense use, right? Maybe lucky is saying that the quality of the garment in general is better. The fit, the construction, details, fabric, longevity in terms of maintaining shape, and general aesthetic.

I know you also hate Band of Outsiders, but i own 2 band of outsiders shirts, a few cheap ones, a filippa k one and used to have a jil sander one. The band of outsider shirt holds it's own fabric, construction wise with the Jil and is a completely different fit from it, so they're hard to compare besides the fact that they're a button up. Just because you don't believe the hype doesn't mean you're actually right about anything. I know there are better quality shirts out there, but for a shorter hemmed slim fitting shirt, they're solid buys on sale. I probably wouldn't fuck with retail on either brands

You're smart enough, but i know HYPE be blinding you. You're right, quality doesn't only mean durability. It can also be shown through the thread count, stitching, construction techniques, etc. But if these are the agreed upon factors, how can you still tell me that SA stands out? I've handled plenty of their items (their LA store is blocks from where I live) and I haven't been impressed.

The funniest part is, you're essentially agreeing with me. You have all suggested that ON SALE, the stuff is a decent value. Well, shit, of course it is. Rick/Raf/Lavin are good value at 50% off too. Doesn't mean their prices aren't exorbitant. Difference is, at least these guys are offering something innovative and selling a lifestyle/image. My dislike for the SA brand also stems from the fact that there are HUNDREDS of comparable substitutes at a fraction of the price. The same can't be said for many other high-priced brands hyped on here. THE WHOLE POINT OF MY GODDAMN ARGUMENT IS THAT AT FULL RETAIL PRICE, SA SHIT IS A JOKE. The shirts should be $75, not $175. I'm not saying I wouldn't wear one if I received it as a gift, I'm merely pointing out that they are one of many brands overcharging for their product. It's like a mini fucking Theory but with more flannel.

Speaking of BOO and SA, this is strangely applicable:

http://acontinuouslean.com/2008/05/20/band-of-outsiders-versus-steven-alan/

All those shirts look like shit.

Seriously, this is mental........it even looks like crap on the mannequin:

CRG_46.jpg

What hype is there for steven alan? A lot of jil, raf, margiela basics aren't really worth retail to me. Their more interesting, special pieces, sure, but not plain button ups.

So basically, you're just mad that brands charge a lot? I don't buy that shit at retail because i'm not wealthy. But if i regularly shopped in that price bracket, given what a brand like BoO offers compared to similarly priced goods (well, BoO retail used to be about $150-200 but keeps going up) would be worth it.

With SA shit, i've seen nice looking shit and i've seen some straight dollar store looking stuff. I don't think anyone is saying he's an innovative designer or even is offering something unique and special. But for people in the market for button ups, a sized down SA shirt, depending on which one can work out for some people. I can't really speak for people who buy shit at retail though.

You're just mad for the sake of being mad these days, aren't you?

What hype is there for steven alan? A lot of jil, raf, margiela basics aren't really worth retail to me. Their more interesting, special pieces, sure, but not plain button ups.

So basically, you're just mad that brands charge a lot? I don't buy that shit at retail because i'm not wealthy. But if i regularly shopped in that price bracket, given what a brand like BoO offers compared to similarly priced goods (well, BoO retail used to be about $150-200 but keeps going up) would be worth it.

With SA shit, i've seen nice looking shit and i've seen some straight dollar store looking stuff. I don't think anyone is saying he's an innovative designer or even is offering something unique and special. But for people in the market for button ups, a sized down SA shirt, depending on which one can work out for some people. I can't really speak for people who buy shit at retail though.

You're just mad for the sake of being mad these days, aren't you?

Mad? Not mad. Just giving my opinion. Is that alright? No one's asking you to concede defeat here.

I don't mind that many brands charge high prices for 'basic' goods. I am more than happy to admit that I've paid $500 for shoes or $1200 for suits, etc. It's about VALUE. Which of course, is relative, but only to a certain extent. Believe I discussed this before:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=24321

SA is simply, in my educated opinion, a poor value for your money. And no, it's not valid to say that, to a person with a $500K income, the shirts are a good buy, because for the last fucking time, not only are there comparable substitutes, there are also substitutes made of better fabrics, better construction and better fit for lower prices. It's one thing to say: "I'm rich bitch, I'm too lazy to walk to Ralph Lauren and these SA shirts work well enough for me".........but it's another to say: "SA shirts are a good product and a good value at $180 a pop".

I don't know how much more I can simplify this:

Buy all the SA shirts you want. At full retail, they are still a VERY POOR VALUE.

So basically, you're just mad that brands charge a lot?

To address this point again, I don't mind that certain brands charge alot, but I do mind that stupid fucks continue to keep said brands in business by paying alot for their garbage. Key offenders include: SA, BoO, Theory, Trovata, Opening Ceremony, etc.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, I simply enjoy debating.

As far as retail goes i agree with all of those with the exception of BoO as the construction is actually real solid on them. Fucking lord knows why opening ceremony thinks they can charge what they do for their clothes and shoes. I mean, BoO and OC do offer something that's hard to exactly find elsewhere but at least BoO backs it up for the most part.

I dunno about RL though. I've liked the RRL casual button ups i've tried on a bunch and the purple label stuff i've tried, but the other stuff not as much and i can't really fuck with the other 2 at retail unfortunately. I just killing time too.

As far as retail goes i agree with all of those with the exception of BoO as the construction is actually real solid on them. Fucking lord knows why opening ceremony thinks they can charge what they do for their clothes and shoes. I mean, BoO and OC do offer something that's hard to exactly find elsewhere but at least BoO backs it up for the most part..

I'll back up chrono here. Never seen/heard of big quality issues with BoO and amongst all the B-Tier american brands they definitely stand head and shoulders above, construction-wise (even compared to NdG).

I remember when people here were shitting themselves over the Corpus quilted leather jacket! I was warning people then, too.

I'll back up chrono here. Never seen/heard of big quality issues with BoO and amongst all the B-Tier american brands they definitely stand head and shoulders above, construction-wise (even compared to NdG).

I remember when people here were shitting themselves over the Corpus quilted leather jacket! I was warning people then, too.

I don't think BoO is poor quality. I like some of their designs and their items seem to be well put together. I just think they charge absurd prices for what is essentially, a slightly edgier version of Brooks Brothers. Their shirt prices are on par with the top tier Italian shirtmakers that use insanely luxurious fabrics, MOP buttons, hand stitching, etc. That's a tall order for such a new brand.

I do see England's point, but I too will say that BoO does deserve some seperation from the other brands he listed. Their stuff is constructed very well, and when I was looking for a plain white oxford, I tried on a dozen different ones all over Toronto. The only one that fit even close to as well as the BoO one was a Raf one... for double the price of an already pricey piece. Obviously different cuts better suit different people though, so it all boils down to who's looking at it.

SA shirts always felt like a marked-up Trovata piece, and their sizing is messed up. If the Corpus diffusion line is anything to judge by, I can't imagine this being anything other than crap. I can only assume the primary goal is getting his name out.

Fake Edit: Irony. The very first time I buttoned up the BoO shirt, one of the buttons came half-off. So uh... while it was fixed right there, it was still odd. I still don't understand how the Raf shirt was worth $400, though. Or how Corpus charges very nearly the same as APC, for that matter.

I still don't understand how the Raf shirt was worth $400, though. Or how Corpus charges very nearly the same as APC, for that matter.

Two things:

1: Raf is what Raf is because we don't want the proles to have it. I cop Raf when they're at 200$ and I consider it a good deal because NOBODY else cuts shirts like that. Even that cutting isn't worth 400 however. It's simply elitism.

2: Corpus is nowhere near APC, have you seen APC prices lately? Touitou must be swimming in plain but well proportioned hookers and very even, well textured but not particularly mind blowing cocaine.