Evisu has got too mainstream

PeterJ

As many here on the forum says, Evisu, sadly, has got mainstream. I have loved Evisu since i got to know the brand, and i still do, but just too many people has started wearing them, and i see a lot of those people as a bunch of "wannabees", so i in a kinda dont think it's especially cool wearing Evisu's any longer. So i now wish to "change" to another brand, but which? What i love about Evisu in special, is their gulls, which i personally think is what makes the brand unique! I'm the type which like to get noticed on the street, without doing anything special, other than being dressed "well"! icon_smile.gif So is their a brand that has got something similar to Evisu's gull?

Bespoke (custom made) jeans start at $300 at Ernest Sewn and are guarenteed for life. If there is a problem with them you can take them back to the store for a visist to the denim doctor. The store also has a consignment section filled with Ernest Sewn jeans.

Edited by 134 on Oct 18, 2005 at 02:52 PM

Hmm, Bape is actually very unknown here in Denmark where i live. icon_smile_cool.gif But personally i don't really like it! icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

If i sholdn't call 'em wannabees, then i don't know what to call 'em - they start wearing the brand long time after it actually is got known by the people who really is into fashion. I just think it's a bit frustrating, but maybe it's just me... icon_smile.gif And please don't call me a hater, cuz i really ain't.icon_smile_blackeye.gif

I care cuz i don't wish to be dressed exactly in the same as everybody else, i just don't think it's cool! icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

Yeah I have a pair of Evisu no. 2 with gold gulls. I still wear them, regardless of all the skater kids running around town in Evisus four sizes too large.

If you like Evisu just wear them.

This whole "mainstream" conversation is just getting too old. I don't care THAT much about which brands people wear really - it's how they combine the different clothes, and how well they can pull off what they are wearing that impresses me. That's style...

Actually, I think the best dressed person is the one you turn your head after down the street that looks super stylish, but you have absolutely no idea what the hell he/she is wearing and haven't seen any of it before; you never see the person or the clothes again, but you still remember it clearly.

Peter - hvis du ikke vil gå klædt som alle andre, så bare tag at kombinér dine Evisu med alt mulig andet. Det kan sagtens blive super fedt.

Personlig har jeg en del Bape, og går da stadig med det og vil nok forsætte med det. Det er først når folk går med det uden at det er stilet at det bliver grimt.

Et par Bapestas med nogle 501's og en jakke kan sagtens se fedt ud, uden at gå over stregen.

Jeg kan godt lide bape fordi jeg synes det er sådan et hyggeligt brand. Det er vel tilladt at have det lidt sjovt med tøjet. Det behøver vel ikke være så seriøst og mørkt hele tiden.

Men det er nok blevet lidt for "bling" nu. Det må jeg sige

Tænkte nok at de ikke havde nogen forhandlere her i DK, ville også være underligt hvis man ikke skulle have stødt på dem i butikkerne.

Tjae, Ebay er jo selvfølgelig, men synes umiddelbart det kan være svært at skelne de ægte varer fra de uægte.

Har du erfaringer med www.zembia.com, for de ser ellers ud til at have nogle spændende varer!

if u like evisu wear evisu ... i still wear mine ... dont care about all the little gangsters wearing fake evisu or what not...does irritate me a little when guys who purely wear designer gear coz its got big flashy names on it come up to me asking where i got my jeans from ... but i still wear em.

I think this is an interesting thread... well what i could read of it was!

Cause evisu is an unusual case. Their pseudo-underground image was hijacked by hip hop celebrities wearing their stuff on prime time. I do not think they actively pursued this marketing path but what the hell they are making a tonne of money so why not.

Also, i think that the whole evisu thing was manufactured anyway, their story and the way it is marketed is full of holes. But whoever came up with it is very clever I'll give them that much

If you are worried about evis think about levis...

I hate how levis totally diluted their brand image, ie. manufacturing offshore, selling cheaper versions of their jeans in department stores etc. OK they have shareholders to answer to but in my mind they have brand customers to answer to also.

I dont think levis will ever recover to be the brand they once were...

I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

... could you hand me the dental floss

Levi's never claimed to be exclusive or "designer", but I am interpreting johninger's remarks to be about the fact that they now have so many styles, outlets and price points, they have lost any clear identity.

If you say someone is wearing Levi's, you don't know if they mean STF (workwear, which used to be synonymous with Levi's) or one of the 1000 variously washed and faded styles in every rise, cut and demographic.

Suburban grandmas wear Levi's. Skinheads wear Levi's. Everyone wears Levi's and they are all different. There is no brand identity anymore, in my opinion.

ask a cassowary

Maybe 20-30 years ago the brand was an absolute blockbuster.

There was a different mentality back then, underground culture did not really exist to the same extent that it does now. Well it did but it manifested itself in a different way...

So brands like Nike, Reebok and Levis were all super cool brands, no questions asked.

I think Nike out of these three Nike has handled the transition into this new market much better.

They have more clearly delineated sub-brands that allow for them to totally cash in on mass-consumerism while maintaining an underground edge. I know this seems a little too analytical but this whole board is driven by these same forces.

Think evisu, how outrageously cool you felt to own an evisu 10-15 years ago compared to now just being a part of the group. And would you feel as cool if you owned a deadstock pair of dunks as opposed to a standard nike trainer...

It is inevitable some people will want to be different and that most people want to be the same...

I'm not so sure Marcus...

Thats the point I'm trying to make. For so long they were just that, if you wanted the best jeans in the world you would go by levis (period).

Now, even though i consider myself a denim connoisseur i wouldn't know what to buy. We have small inexpensive department stores here that sell orange label levis that look similar to red label, one is equivalent $US10 one is $US100, not enough differentiation in my mind...

I have never owned a pair of Evisu but I have also seen that people hold, held, it in a high esteem. I was wondering if it is just over commercialized or has the quality really gone down. I also want to know if you can still get a high quality pair in Japan or is it over commercialized there as well. I hope that made sense.

For me evisu has always been a little over the top. And their recent range has taken that to another extreme. The jeans with the one huge gull on the seat of the pants are out of control. Plus they have begun embroidering more and more so now they look more like FUBU or Rocawear than a traditional pair of jeans...

But depends what you like i suppose.

Since I'm danish I understand you perfectly but I could amagine that other users would be frustrated, and they might be interested in the fashion scene in Copenhagen, so english please.

I think Evisu's popularity should be dropping somewhere soon. Now the original fashion freaks like PeterJ is starting to question wheather he wants to wear Evisus or not. When some of the fashion freaks stop wearing it maybe "the wannabees" as you are refering to them won't wear them either. Don't know if it works like this, just a theory of mine.

Myself I see arguments for wearing Evisus and for not wearing them:

Evisu are cool jeans, I just bought my first pair a couple of months ago, not because of them being mainstream. If you like them yourself why should you care if it's mainstream or not?

On the other hand: Too many people are wearing evisus and maybe it gets borring at some point, with all people just wearing the same jeans. Here I'd like to point out that I don't care if all these people are 15-year-old hip hoppers or people who are very much into fashion.

And yes Evisu is becoming mainstream, some people buy them just because of the brand and the seagull. For example i asked a friend of mine why he bought his evisu jeans, he was like: "You have to show that you have money. That's whats the girls like."