High End American Labels

dnnsmanace

Quote:

Ralph Lauren Purple Label?

how about that tommy hifiger too?

--- Original message by haptronic on Oct 8, 2005 11:20 PM

With prices for leathers approaching the $4000 dollars and up range I'd say purple label qualifies for higher end. The line was created with an eye towards very forward thinking designs, far-removed from what RL has traditionally been associated with over here in NA. It's marketed more towards the saville row set with flashy skinny suits, super fitted cycle jackets reminiscent of YSL or Costume. Very different than Polo, and the pricepoints with suits easily topping a few grand reflect that. RL black label is kind of similar.

maybe my perspective is skewed not coming from the US. The purple label stuff i've seen didn't strike me as particulaly creative or interesting from a design perspective, you can wind up the quality and price, without creating an impact design wise.

considering the fact that you compare the design to houses from europe, it still sounds like a marketing exercise to me.

it seems esp ironic when Tom Ford [an american] had a hand in defining the look you are talking about at YSL.

<center>fromHQ.jpg </center>

Well that's what it is really. Polo presumably already had a strong presence in the UK and were looking to expand into bespoke style suiting and along the way grabbed tidbits of other fashion items that were currently "hot" and added to the collection accordingly. Part attempt at maintaining brand integrity and partial attempt at appeasing their EU customer base is what I remember hearing in regards as to why purple label is around to begin with. As for creating an impact... Well it's not as though most of the stuff hasn't been done before as you say. Some of the gear still seems interesting however. I would assume that newer stuff will be going for even more of a costume/etro/ysl/paul smith feel since black label is now handling the suits.