Whats Good in Maui, HI?

lexerone

Maui is a great place...IMO don't worry about shopping (go to Honolulu for that). I'm guessing you'll be staying near/on Ka'anapali beach, which is at the very least a good place to chill and check out girls. Lahaina is close by. I'd say the nightlife is very limited compared to Honolulu, but to me the point of going to Maui is to get away from the city life.

don't worry about shopping (go to Honolulu for that)

having visited Maui twice and having lived in HI (Honolulu) for 3+ years I would say aviod ALL the islands if shopping is your objective. Although there are a few spots in Honolulu, I have zero fucking clue about Maui, but as others have said, its a great place to forget about that type of shit and just enjoy nature's beauty. Have fun.

EDIT: I just remembered the name of a pretty good Japanese (sushi) place in Maui; go to Hirohachi.

yeah i was in Maui for vacation last winter and damn the weather was beautiful but maui honestly doesn't have much for shopping unless your're into quicksilver, oneill, etc. Lahaina has bubba gump and hard rock cafe and many of the resorts and hotels in Maui do Luau shows that have pretty good buffets and a decent show. honestly though, maui was DAMN boring for me and i wish my family stayed in honolulu more than maui.

who the fuck cares about shopping in Hawaii??!

I wasnt necessarily talking about shopping, shit.

I was just wondering what might be nice to see.

I havent been to any islands since i was like 5.

So now that i get to enjoy one as an adult,

i want to know what i can do with a nice 5 day get away.

Like I mentioned earlier, if you're staying on Ka'anapali, take advantage of the beach. Surf if you know how, or even consider taking a lesson, I'd also recommend snorkeling near Black Rock, though there are some less populated places if you want a more private experience.

I think one of the best places for sushi is Sansei's...I think it's closer to Kapalua in Maui (i've been to the restaurant they have in Waikiki). It's not Japan good, but better than a lot of places on the mainland. They have some ridiculous 25 and 50% discounts for early birds/late night that are well worth it.

ok, maui is heaven and hell, i know a bunch of big wave surfers who live there and have had some great times. BTW almost all the spelling in this post is fucked cause i am hungover from a show last night that i did not even drink at, ah, the iorny of lifee.

go to piala fish market, its heaven on earth for the price. the fish chowder is raeally good, and so is just about everything else.

right next to it is a really legend breakfast place called charlies, they have really good egss benidict and the such.

for the best mango margarita you ever had go to Milagros, its right across from the fish market, great food, but AMAZING drinks.

then i would save all my pennys and go to MAMAS FISH HOUSE. this is basicly the best resturant that i ever ate at in my life. when you order your food it tells you the name of the boat and fisher that caught the fish on the menu next to the course. the sashimi is a joke how good it is. basicly everything that is on offer at this place will ruin you for any other food forever. make sure to order the BLACK TAI. its like a mai tai but with dark rum, not on the menu.

also make sure to go check out the hana side of the island for some good nam flashbacks.

enjoy!

EDIT:

ok, my funny maui story. we were flown out there to DJ for this austrialian coked out of there mind party. got paid to chill and mack, was a great time, seeing as none of us were DJ's but blagged the whole thing. so were in maui for the few days before the gig, which was for newyears night on Y2K. so were there, spinning, having a great night, and person after person comes up and asks us if we had prince, TONIGHT WERE GONNA PARTY LIKE ITS 1999! whatever song that is. needless to say, we did not have it at all, and people just kept asking for it. i assume we were the only party in the world that did not play that song that night, and all these nuts auzzie pricks will remember their loss as well. anyway, just poped in my head as a maui story, had to share it, bored as hell at work....haha!

I wasnt necessarily talking about shopping, shit.

I was just wondering what might be nice to see.

I havent been to any islands since i was like 5.

So now that i get to enjoy one as an adult,

i want to know what i can do with a nice 5 day get away.

wasn't really pointed in your direction...I'll visit Maui in August for the first time so after that I should be wiser ha!

Do you surf? If not, I highly recommend trying it at least once in you life. And, Maui is a great place for beginners. If you're interested in learning how to surf, I would recommend Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy in Lahaina. The instructors are great, and they have a pretty good photographer that you can hire to take your pics.

If you want to do some sightseeing, then you have to do the "Road to Hana." The trip will take you a whole day, and the road is pretty crazy, but I think it's worth it because of all the sights you'll get to see. You'll have to leave pretty early in the day because you won't want to drive back on the narrow, winding roads when it's dark. Go as far as the Kipahulu area of Haleakala National Park, and spend some time there before heading home. Be sure to check out the Seven Sacred Pools at Haleakala National Park. On the way home, stop at Mama's Fish House for dinner. As mentioned by AstroWolf above, the food is pretty damn good.

Seeing the sunrise at Haleakala Crater is pretty amazing. You'll have to leave mad early to get there on time, but I think it's worth it. It gets pretty damn cold, so bring a jacket. And, don't stand with all the other tourists near the railing; there's a trail going up the mountain that will give you a much better view once you reach the top.

If you want to do some snorkeling, there's lots of great snorkeling spots in Maui. Skip the cheap rentals and spend a little bit of money to rent some quality gear. Also, skip the Molokini snorkeling tour; it's not worth the time or money. If you rent some gear from a reputable shop, they should be able to point out the best snorkeling spots.

Five days isn't very long, so spend your time wisely.

This is my first real post, so I'll quickly introduce myself. I'm Virgilio, 21, college student and a newly anointed sufu addict. I was actually born and raised on Maui until I left for college in 04, so I can offer some advice here.

Maui, if you must know, has changed dramatically over the past 5 years; it's much more developed, more commercialized. So expect to face the typical ills of this-- VERY bad traffic especially going to Lahaina during peek hours, quite pricey, and the occasional slightly-unhappy local b/c of the high influx of tourists.

Regardless of this, Maui is still a pristine and beautiful island. It's hard not to get caught up in it magic, really. I have no doubt you'll enjoy yourself.

So places to go...

definitely: Hana, Haleakala. These two places are quintessential for people to experience the unique beauty and awe of Maui (I sound like a tourist ad). Research on the web so you can prepare accordingly. Check out Paia, a small hippie town with lots of character. See Iao Valley if you have time.

Places to eat...

I second the person that mentioned Mama's Fishhouse, it's worth it! I second Sansei as well (I think Sunday @ 5pm is half off the sushi, but get there even earlier as there will be a line). If you want to try really good local Hawaiian food, go to Da Kitchen. Roy's is okay. If you're in Lahaina, all you have to do is walk on Front Street if you're looking for a place to eat, TONS of restaurants on that strip.

Beaches...

Best beachs are in Kihei/Wailea (the sound side) and in Lahaina (west side). Black Rock for snorkelling. Launiapoko to learn to surf. Makena Beach/Big Beach in Wailea. OH, definitely check out Hookipa to watch world-class wind surfing, it's amazing.

Shopping..

Eh, again, I share the sentiment with other sufus here, Maui is not a place to go to shop. But if you must, the Shops at Wailea is the best mall on the island (but it's not much). High end brands like Gucci, LV, I think D and G?? Don't expect much though.

Anymore questions, PM me, I'm happy to help.

also remember that the nice beaches at the four seasons and the such are public. you can drive your rental car up to them, get valet service and chill out on a perfectly snazzy beach all pimped out all day and go home to your moderate acomodations. sure its a bit lame, but those beaches are really nice, and its great to have all the options of a major resort without having to deal with the scene, get there, have fun being the scum, and get out drunk as hell after eating a 40$ cobb salad ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The wife and I are heading to Maui again this year.

Last year we stayed in Lahaina and neglected to rent a car ahead of time.

This time we have not made the same mistake.

We'll be in Kihei

Looking for good/cheap places for food, etc.

We're definitely planning to head to Black Rock for snorkeling again, Hana Park, maybe the volcano.

Last year we spent a fantastic amount on food and none of it was that tasty.

Also planning on capturing a gecko this year if it kills me.

So I can pet it.