White Dress Shirt

///mzeasy

So after a good deal of browsing search results, I'm still at a loss. I need a new white shirt to be worn with a black tie by next saturday. I would like to get something of great quality and of varying wearability (ie. with jacket, without, untucked, etc.) since my closet has been needing one for a while. Unfortunately, I live in Atlanta, so not a lot of variety -- I've checked the boutiques to no avail, so I'm pretty much limited to an online purchase or the department stores. I'm willing to take it to a tailor, but I'm on a very limited time table, obviously. And I'd like to stay under $150... meh.

Thanks in advance

IMO you need two white shirts in your closet.

One for formal occasions and one you can wear untucked and with the sleeves rolled.

Formal occasions should be starchy crisp, clean, and a bit longer so you can tuck it in and not have it come undone.

The more casual one should be a bit shorter if you plan to untuck, and can be rumply like linen or such.

Finding a middle ground is hard because the shirt will look messy in formal events and look too dressy on top of jeans

if you need a formal shirt i'd suggest doing some research on MTM shirtmakers in Atlanta, see which is in your budget and then go get a few made there. If it's black tie i think studded buttons are a must. Also keep in mind the shape of your tux and its lapel so you can get an appropriately shaped collar.

do they have an Ascot Chang there? It's a shirtmaking shop that started in HK but from what i know he opened some stores in the US. Might be worth looking into, a sea island cotton white shirt about $150, much better than getting a Dior or some other marked up designer shirt...

This has been incredibly helpful (I think I'm just indecisive). Pardon my lack of familiarity with the tailor, but given my time constraints, how long does a tailor typically take with such shirt alterations. I think I've found a good place for a mtm shirt, but once again I'm concerned with them getting it done by the end of the week (especially if they are closed tomorrow for Memorial Day) -- any estimate on how long that may take?

let them know politely you need it in a hurry, and they should have no problem bumping you up in the priority list.

it depends from place to place...some places can whip em up in a week, others might take longer. Depends on business volume and the scale of their operation.

Although MTM is a good option, it will generally take a few weeks to get your shirt.

The shirts that fit me best off the rack are Agnès B. and Tiger of Sweden. Slim, nice fabrics and pretty good construction (to my untrained eye) at around 150$ full retail.

Agnes B's a good recommendation for something reasonably priced...as much as i wanted to hate on her stuff for being so common here, i think it is quite well made for what she is charging. Craftsmanship and quality of fabrics definitely superior to the similarly priced APC. i ended up buying a backpack from her..

Through tomorrow (Memorial Day), Brooks Brothers is having a sale. Their slim-fit dress shirts are surprisingly reasonable. They won't knock you out, but you can pick up several shirts for a good price. (At the factory store, you could get three for $129, not including a 15% discount on top of that; at the mainline store, I think they run $79.50 each or three for $199.)

They are pretty trim throughout the body with high armholes. You can wear them for your event and then get them shortened afterward. I needed some trim dress shirts just to wear around (both casually and formally), so I picked up three of these. I am going to get them shortened so that I can wear them untucked.

I think this is a reasonable choice to get decent shirts that can get a lot of utility for a decent price. But the sale runs only through today.